Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but I couldn't find this info here.
Can I use bar-end shifters with MTB derailleurs as long as the they're both 7x3?
I've finally set a new tour date so I have impetus to finish my MTB to tourer conversion.:idea:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Shimano yes, as long as you match the number of speeds in the back (9sp shifters w/9sp cassette/der.). I'm not sure about using the SRAM TT shifters as bar-end shifters. SRAM Double-tap road shifters aren't compatible with SRAM (or Shimano) MTB RD's. At least that's what their literature and rep says.

Bob

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indyfan said:
Shimano yes, as long as you match the number of speeds in the back (9sp shifters w/9sp cassette/der.). I'm not sure about using the SRAM TT shifters as bar-end shifters. SRAM Double-tap road shifters aren't compatible with SRAM (or Shimano) MTB RD's. At least that's what their literature and rep says.

Bob
Both the shifters and the gears are (I said 7 but meant) 8x3, it's an older MTB. They are shimano gears and I picked up shimano bar-ends. I am putting drop bars on the bike; I already have the brake levers.

·
Registered
843 Posts
One thing you can do no matter what components, no. of gears etc, is run the bar-ends on friction mode. Most people around these days think that's just completely inconceivable, but you'd get proficient at it fairly quickly. And you'd eliminate 90% of the shifting problems that plague people these days.

Bob

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
7spd spacing was the same as 8, IIRC, so no problems on indexing. for friction (the front) anything goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts