Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I could post this in the "beginners " forum on MTBR, but you guys are so much awesomer that I just have to ask here...

Do I throw the mud-covered clothes in the washing machine as-is, or will that kill the washing machine? I hosed everything off today before I did laundry. I've never had such an incredibly dirty stack of clothes :D

Oh yeah... and I mainly got dirty today because I ate it in a giant mud pit. Those tires are not awesome for mud. I slide all over the place every time I cross a patch of it.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I'd soak a little first....

FIRST!

PS...I'd poast my new bike but its a soul-less trek...first ride tomorrow...woo hoo

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
Another Dirt Diva! Welcome!

I would have hosed off the mud before washing too. And invest in some Oxy-Clean. I have separate jerseys for road and mtn... the mtn ones get stained and frankly stink after a while.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I guess that depends on your washer. I've thrown tons of really nasty (remodeling) clothes in mine with no problems.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Trick is to get off as much as possible, then get them into the washer ASAP.
I know this, not from mtbing, but from 4-wheelin'. :D

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
teoteoteo said:

FIRST!

PS...I'd poast my new bike but its a soul-less trek...first ride tomorrow...woo hoo
Soaking doesn't work for me with the red Georgia clay. Just turns everything light-colored a nice shade of pale orange. :p

But if you just got regular old dirt, I guess it would be okay.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
if it's caked on i just rinse off the big chunks in a large outside sink, then throw it in the wash. if it's just kinda dirty, i just wash them with other biking clothes or alone an maybe and extra rinse cycle.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Let it dry, brush off whatever you can, and toss it in the wash. I usually spray the white/light parts with an enzyme stain remover before tossing them in the wash, otherwise I end up with visible mud stains.

Technically I'm not a MTBer, I'm still waiting to take delivery on my new (to me) MTB, but us crossers get pretty muddy some days...

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
I've hosed down really muddy stuff before tossing it in. I have a front loader, so I can get more pressure by turning the hose on the stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hence the term "washing machine"...

terry b said:
I just shake off my cross/hole digging/horse stall cleaning clothes and drop them in the washer. Dirt dissolves, it will go down the drain.
That's what it DOES. If the stuff's really dirty, add a little (25 to 50 percent) extra detergent. In extreme cases of grease soilization, maybe a little Shout or some other prewash, which (in extreme extreme cases) can soak for a few hours or even overnight. Use the hottest water the fabric will stand (labels usually are conservative--you can use warm water on nearly everything). Use a long wash cycle, not the 2-minute quick rinse. Check the wet clothes before you put them in the dryer--once they've been dried, stains are really hard to get out. Bad grease stains can be treated with WD-40, which will dissolve grease and then wash out, except once in awhile when it doesn't, but you had a grease stain anyway so nothing's lost.
Trust me on this. My mom was sick for a couple of years when I was a young teen-ager, and I inherited the laundry, including my brother's and my football uniforms. I can get anything out of anything.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
Washer. Oxy is your friend.

But since you are a n00b, I will add this: If it does not come totally clean do NOT dry it... put it straight back in the washer for another wash. Dried (baked) in dirt is permanent dirt.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
once i threw the stuff directly in the washer. and got in trouble. then i pre-washed in a sink. and got in trouble. then i rinsed outside using the hose. got in trouble for doing it in my skivvies and on the sidewalk. now we have a slop sink that the washer empties into. but i dont mtb anymore. however, on days i sweat a ton (every day) or get dusty, i rinse in the slop sink. it seems to help.

the problem with throwing it in the washer is it can, over time, clog the washer. add to that gravel and it can grind away. it also might make the washer smell funky after a while. they sell stuiff for that, though...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
wow......I just throw my clothes in the machine, fill it up, pour the soap in and walk away. I get pretty dirty too. They get clean and smell fine.

btw, every washing machine I have ever had has a "filter" under it called a pin trap. It collects the grit and large particles before they hit the pumps

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i throw it straight in the washer. i have an old team jersey that has a lot of white in it that has become stained. so if you don't want stains, spray it with something.

put some maxxis medusa tires on for riding in the mud.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
teoteoteo said:

FIRST!

Why do you hate Trek/=America

1 - 20 of 31 Posts