Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Sidi Dominators and Specialized MTB comp shoes for MTBing. Run both Time and Shimano on my MTBs. Semi newbie to road riding - back in the day when I pretended I was a racer (early 90's) I did the roadie thing. Guess I am back. I am about 90%, OK 100% committed to getting a road bike. MTB pedals and shoes OK? I may purchase a bike that comes with Aero aluminum road pedals with CrMo axles. Road talk, I'm stupid. MTB is my language. Should I buy road shoes? Are Aero Aluminum pedals OK? Road shoes the way to go? Trade in the stock pedals and get some Shimano MTB pedals and stick with the MTB shoes for now?

Also - at 220 lbs and 6' 3.5" are 23 cc tires ok or should I go a bit wider?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Your choice

X513 said:
MTB pedals and shoes OK? I may purchase a bike that comes with Aero aluminum road pedals with CrMo axles. Road talk, I'm stupid. MTB is my language. Should I buy road shoes? Are Aero Aluminum pedals OK? Road shoes the way to go? Trade in the stock pedals and get some Shimano MTB pedals and stick with the MTB shoes for now?

Also - at 220 lbs and 6' 3.5" are 23 cc tires ok or should I go a bit wider?
The typical downside to MTB shoes is a relatively flexible sole, although that is shoe specific. Some people worry about the heavier shoes, but that is a secondary issue IMO. After that it's mostly about worrying about what others may think, bling, and personal preference.

The standard recommendation is to run your tires at around 100 psi/7 bar - if you get pinch flats then you need wider tires. This pressure gives the best combination of durability, comfort, and handling, so that's where you want to operate. I'm guessing that you should be on 25s or 28s, but it will depend both on your riding style and your local road conditions.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
The MT shoes/pedals will work fine. 23mm tires will also be fine. Use the 25/28's if you want a softer ride. The only downside to the wider tires is they're a tad heavier, so they'll accelerate a little slower. Not much of a diff tho.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
mix and match

I got a pair of high end Shimano SPD pedals from a friend for free as my first experience in riding clipless pedals. I also bought a pair of Mountain shoes to use with them because I planned to ride to school (about 12 miles one way between Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo). I have been nothing but happy with the combination. The SPD connection is very secure and I have never had any problems with my shoe popping out. Also when I get to where I am riding, I can walk in a relatively "normal" fashion. Subsequently, I found a closeout pair of Shimano "touring" shoes that use SPD cleats, but look like road shoes. These too are pretty easy to walk in. I can't speak to a difference in feel between SPD and bigger 3-bolt road cleats because I have no experience with typical road bike pedals. Don't be reticent about mixing and matching road/mtn stuff. As long as you're happy, you're happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts