Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No Barry supporter here!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an MTB'r at heart but recently picked up a sweet carbon/ti roadie and have been riding the 'ell out of it. I can tell ya anything you want as far as MTB tires. Which ones work in what conditions and so on but I have absolutely no clue when it comes to roadie tires.

Currently I'm running some Bontrager middle of the road tires. They have close to 3K on them (switched to new bike from old bike) so they're definitely due to be changed. I've had no problems what so ever with them. A couple of flats but that was all due to riding in the STP (Seattle to Portland) and some local yahoo's throwing tacs in the road. I can't remember ever having a flat other than that.

So can anyone help out with some tire advice? To be honest, I have no idea what the difference is b/w a $20 tire and a $80 tire. Other than compound, why would there be such a range in prices? I don't race but do 50 milers and up on the weekends.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mostly you pay for lighter weight and less durability. BUT finer casings such as any 290 or 300 TPI ones do give you a slightly more cushy ride. Find a tyre that gives the grip you need and has enough protection for the roads you ride. That'll do. The whole increased acceleration thing because of 30g shed per tire is rather laughable but many roadies take it very very seriously. Those folks probably have never ridden an mtb with some freeride knobbies for comparison. ;)

·
\m/
150 Posts
I'm a long time MTB(er) who as time goes by is turning more and more into a roadie. Anyways, I'm currently running Michelin Pro 3 Race tires; I've been very happy with them. PBK has the best prices on them ($39ea).

Being a MTB(er) I've used Stans (Notubes.com) for some time now; great stuff, I have been wanting to tryout their Road Tubeless Kit

·
No Barry supporter here!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. Now I know I don't have to spend a lot on tires. And I'm there with ya Blade-Runner, the older I get the more I enjoy the road bike. I see that WTB now has some roadie tires. That's about all I ride in the MTB world. I know it'll get the goat of other roadies when they are passed on a hill and see WTB's. Oh yea, good times!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.