Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello to everyone, this is my first post here! Now, my question- Do riders ever show up for group rides, beginers' races, etc.. on a MTN bike with road tires? I just got into cycling about 3 mos. ago, and I ended up purchasing a MTN bike for various reasons. I soon found out that I was bitten by the cycling bug, and now I realize that most of my miles(90%) are acumulated on road. I am very interested in doing group rides soon, but I wonder if my MTN bike (with road tires, mind you) and I will be the talk of the group, if you know what I mean! Anybody have any thoughts on this? I thank you in advance, and look forward to future posts! GN

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Gnau said:
First off, hello to everyone, this is my first post here! Now, my question- Do riders ever show up for group rides, beginers' races, etc.. on a MTN bike with road tires? I just got into cycling about 3 mos. ago, and I ended up purchasing a MTN bike for various reasons. I soon found out that I was bitten by the cycling bug, and now I realize that most of my miles(90%) are acumulated on road. I am very interested in doing group rides soon, but I wonder if my MTN bike (with road tires, mind you) and I will be the talk of the group, if you know what I mean! Anybody have any thoughts on this? I thank you in advance, and look forward to future posts! GN
Depends on the group. If you are thinking about the Tues. night world championship street race, you would certainly be out of place. But if you are looking at the local social bike club that may include something to eat on their rides, you would probably be fine.

In a road race, you would definately stand out though I have seen riders on MTBs do OK.

TF

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I rode my very first century in 1986 on a mountain bike. My road bike frame broke a week before and I didn't have any money to fix it even if I could have found something. So I put my LOOK pedals on my 35 lb rigid Ross mtb and pumped the tires up as high as I dared. Other than the weight and poor aerodynamics it wasn't too bad. I hung in the pacelines with my friends. I did get a lot of dirty looks from road bike riders I passed up hills.
The single hand position meant that my shoulders were hurting pretty good by the end of the ride.

These days I see people on MTBs with road tires in all sorts of organized rides, up to the Death Ride. If you have suspension you'll be hating life on the road, but besides that it's not so awful, especially if you get some bar ends.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
25% of the riders around here are on MBs

Not at the races, of course, but at group and club rides, including centuries, you see a lot of people on mountain bikes with road tires, and sometimes on knobbies. I got back into cycling after a long post-college layoff via a mountain bike, and I did many 30-50 mile road rides on it before I could afford a road bike. It's not as bad as some of the purists around here will tell you--it's a little slower, and you have to work a little harder, but it's pretty satisfying to run down some poser with his TdF-clone bike and his Full Lance getup and ride away from him on a $350 clunker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks-

for the fast responses. My primary reason for not getting a road bike right now is financial, but my primary goal for getting my MTB was to lose weight, get in shape. As my wife has pointed out to me on several ocasions, if that is my goal, than wouldn't I acheive that goal sooner by riding something that requires more output from me! In fact, I would kinda like to be the guy beating "roadies" with his MTB, but I know I am not there yet. Thanks again, everyone. GN

·
Registered
50 Posts
It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you are reaching your goals and having fun doing it, and it sure would be cool to pass some poser in all his race garb riding a huffy hard tail!!:D
good luck,
PHX

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Gnau,

The first rule of road cycling, is "f" the roadies who care enough to smirk at you. Just show and go bro. Seriously, many of us have been there. I did the same thing as you. Now I have 5 bikes. Soon enough you'll be surfing eBay for a used road bike. Group rides are a great way to connect and get educated. Roadies, especially posers (including your's truly) are snobs. Mostly because we're idiots. Just show up on whatever you got, watch, learn, ask questions and enjoy.

BTW, before you ask, you first road bike shouldn't run you any more than 1K.

BT

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gnau said:
As my wife has pointed out to me on several ocasions, if that is my goal, than wouldn't I acheive that goal sooner by riding something that requires more output from me!
Yes and no. If you are dying after 30 minutes of trying to keep up with a group on the mountain bike, versus riding 3 hours straight on the road bike, then no it's not a good thing to have to put out more effort.

If you are riding solo it doesn't matter because you can ride your own pace (heart rate monitors are awesome for weight loss programs). But in a group you may not be able to maintain the required level of effort long enough to see the benefits. For weight loss having your heart rate at 145 BPM for 2 hours is much more beneficial than having it at 185 BPM for 15 minutes.

·
Spin Diesel
257 Posts
eventhough I own a road bike I've started showing up for road rides on my MTB again just like in the beginning, just for the fun of it, as well as to challenge myself.

I know I can manage to hang with the faster groups pretty good on my road bike (or at least keep them in sight :D ) but I'm starting to realize that I get more bang for my buck on a heavier bike especially when I don't have the time to do a really long ride. I also make it point not to throw on slicks cause I'm sadistic like that, plus I like the roadies to hear me coming when I pass them and knobbies make a nice whirring sound :cool:

Keep in mind though that I'm an XC racer who rides the road mostly just for training

If your goal is to lose weight I'd say find a nice friendly group ride in your that has a "no drop" policy. Yeah you might not be able to keep their pace at first but it will give you something to chase having folks just down the road. I think you'll benefit more from having other folks around you "push" you as opposed to a solo ride even if you are riding at tempo. The MTB just means you'll be working harder which is good for you in the long run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think that I am sufficiently motivated to try finding a group ride in my area. I do have slicks for my MTB, but I do ride it on the trail as well. It's just with the weather we've been having lately(it won't stop raining!), it seems like I've been doing most of my riding on the road. I am just trying to burn up miles untill the weather gets better, then off come the slicks and back to knobbies! Thanks again for the input, you made me feel welcome. GN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts