Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the general differences are between a mountain bike and a road bike frame. How do their geometries differ and what is the result of the changes. The reason I ask is that I am finally finishing up converting my mountain bike to be as road like as possible. I have changed the tires and gears, and I am about to put on the drop bars. I’m guessing that it will never be as good as a road bike, but just curious about how the frame geometry effects the bikes characteristics. Thanks for any info.

Mark

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
The top tube on a MTB is shorter, and it's lower, too. If the frame fit you with a straight bar, you'll find that a drop bar will leave you cramped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now you’re scaring me

Dave_Stohler said:
The top tube on a MTB is shorter, and it's lower, too. If the frame fit you with a straight bar, you'll find that a drop bar will leave you cramped.
Well when I got the mtn bike I was told I was between sizes (15” & 17”), and I got the smaller frame but it has a really long stem. I thought with the drop handlebars, there would be more reach to the hoods, and so I was going to get a shorter stem. If what you say is true, this project may not work out after all.
But I am still curious about the differences in seat tube angle, and chain stay lengths and other geometry issues between a mountain and road bike.

Thanks again,
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts