Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14,776 Posts
BoootyHoIe said:
what exactly do you use the multi-tool in your saddle bag for?.
Multiple things ;-)

Adjusting derailleurs and brakes, tightening things that vibrate loose, etc. Basically, all the kind of things that are fixable on the road. Some include a spoke wrench; if yours doesn't, you need a spoke wrench, too (they're very small). A compact chaintool is nice to carry, too, if you know how to use it.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
JCavilia said:
Multiple things ;-)

Adjusting derailleurs and brakes, tightening things that vibrate loose, etc. Basically, all the kind of things that are fixable on the road. Some include a spoke wrench; if yours doesn't, you need a spoke wrench, too (they're very small). A compact chaintool is nice to carry, too, if you know how to use it.
+1. I carry the Topeak Alien and while it is heavy I use it on both my rode and MTB. It came in handy a lot 2 weeks ago making my wife's 27 speed into a single speed while 10 miles from town on a singletrack in Colorado. I also broke my chain and had to remove a link and severall other minor repairs on the fly. You don't want to be far from home with multi tool that wil cover all the basic repairs you MAY run into. It is just like why you don't leave home without a tube or repair kit. You will eventually need it.

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Multi use

BoootyHoIe said:
Being a complete newb and trying to get out of it, what exactly do you use the multi-tool in your saddle bag for?
Personally, I've never carried one and never had the need for one. I carry a 5 mm allen wrench, tire irons, and my house key has a notch filed in it that serves as my spoke wrench. IME, a properly maintained and adjusted bike just doesn't need an on-road tool kit. YMMV

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Multi-tool = waste of money. As stated above, there are only a couple of things you really need. I also carry a long, narrow rag. I lay the rag flat on my work bench and place each tool about 2" apart, then roll the rag up tightly before stuffing it in my seat bag. This keeps everything in place, and also keeps things quiet. Tools jingling in a seat bag make me nutz. The ONLY thing I like to hear from my bike when I'm riding is the sound of tires on the pavement.

· Registered
2,931 Posts

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Multitools are only needed for the first couple rides when you get a new ride to dial in your fit.

Otherwise as stated sorta useless. All I bring on rides now is a tube and a pump. Nothing else. I use my quickrelease as my tire lever. <----- awesome trick!

· Registered
47 Posts
A lot of good advice above, here is what I carry:

multi tool - http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ToolBar
carb one mini pump
tube
plastic tire boots
patch kit (patches, square of sand paper, glue)
tiny knife - http://www.rei.com/product/711065
zip ties
safety pins
house key
about $40 bucks
ibuprofen
antacid

This all gets rolled up into a plastic zip lock bag and stuffed into a jersey pocket, don't even use a seat bag. I rubber band a cell phone to the rolled up bag and am good to go. The tube, etc are for flats (natch) but the safety pins are for the worst of all possible roadside emergencies... ripping the ass out of your shorts in a crash and having to ride back home... with no ass in your shorts. The knife is for getting creative if you need to find more fabric :) Plus you should never mess with zip ties without a knife near by.

Good luck

· Registered
21,865 Posts
The kitchen sink?

Yoyodene said:
the safety pins are for the worst of all possible roadside emergencies... ripping the ass out of your shorts in a crash and having to ride back home... with no ass in your shorts.
And this happens to you how often? And you need painkillers on your rides how often? At least nobody can say you're not prepared :)

· Registered
38 Posts
Multi-tool

I could see a multi-tool would be more must have mounatin biking due to the increase in potential damage hazards inherit to the sport, But on the road a few allen wrenches, inflator, patch kit and cell phone to call for help if these won't fix it are about all you need.
But then again Les from Survivorman say's "my muliti-tool! I never leave home without it!"
I guess you never know when you may be stranded in the urban jungle!!!!!!! HaHaHa!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.