Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting to see if anyone has any ideas on why I am getting so many flat tires. Here is my situation:

My bike has been on the trainer since December. Two weeks ago my rear tire went flat and I replaced the tube.

On my next ride on the trainer a couple of days later, I flatted again.

I brought the wheel and tire into my LBS to check. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, replaced the tube and sent me on my way.

One week later (yesterday), I flatted on the trainer again.

I brought the wheel back into the LBS. They checked it again and said there was nothing wrong. They replaced the tube. One idea they had was that maybe my tension was too high on the trainer.

I got the wheel home, put it on my bike, and, instead of the trainer, hopped on my rollers. Five minutes into the ride, I flatted again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do at this point? My LBS and I have checked the wheel but haven't found anything wrong. Is there something we could be missing? Aside from a visual/feel inspection, is there another diagnostic method that could be used?

Thank you.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Make sure rim tape is good.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Before I install a new tube, I'll find exactly where the hole in the flat tube is.
If it's on the inside of the tube, the rim may be causing the flat.
If it on the outside of the tube, it's the tire - or more likely something in the tire.

I also try to keep the tube and tire in the same orientation when I take out the tube.
This will help me pin down the location of the cause.
A burr on the rim or something in the tire can be really small and hard to find. It helps to know where to start looking.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
My brand new bike came with a flat tire. There were rough edges around the spoke holes inside the rim that were poking through the cheapo rim tape, causing pinhole leaks in the uber lightweight tube.
Sanded down the spoke holes, installed trusty Velox rim tape and use a 25mm tube in a 23mm tire so the rubber won't be so thin. Gained a few grams, but no flats.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Find The Hole!

Not once in your long saga did you say what kind of a puncture you had or where it was located. You gotta inspect the punctured tube and find the location of the hole, as immerle advised. If you just keep replacing tubes without locating the cause of the puncture, you'll never solve it. No offense meant to you, but I am repeatedly amazed at the number of riders who don't understand this simple principle. This is another good reason to patch tubes, too, since patching obviously necessitates finding the puncture.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
do exactly what immerle says, always inflate the punctured tube to find the leak, and back track from there. it does no good (as you've discovered) to put new tubes in if you don't know what's causing the flats in the first place. you can look at everything (as your shop has done) and still miss the cause.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
If you can't find it, you might want to mount the front tire to see if it flats. My LBS had a case where it took them 10 minutes for find a really thin strand of loose wire from the casing of an old tire that was puncturing the tube.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
cxwrench said:
do exactly what immerle says, always inflate the punctured tube to find the leak, and back track from there. it does no good (as you've discovered) to put new tubes in if you don't know what's causing the flats in the first place. you can look at everything (as your shop has done) and still miss the cause.

put the inflated tube in the tub of water to find the leak if you can't hear it.

that'll tell you where it is.

but yeah you gotta find the hole.

and then match it up to the tire (mark the tire to the valve stem with a marker).

·
Registered
664 Posts
What everybody else said, plus check the base of your valve stem. Could be a burr in your valve stem hole, or you may have bought some tubes with thin or defective valve stems. The key is locating the leak on the tube.

Or...if all of this fails, you could just stop throwing your empties against the trainer.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
You've received the right advice; I'm just placing my bet.

It's because the cheapo plastic rim strip you are using is sliding to the side when you mount the tire, exposing an edge of a spoke hole. Get Velox, problem solved.

Could be plenty of other things, but this is my go-to guess for trainer flats.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would be willing to bet you've got some issue with the rim tape, or a small, almost impossible to find barb on the metal rim somewhere. I've had this same thing happen to me in the past, and what I usually find is a tiny, tiny hole in the tire that lets a tiny particle inside, and it causes havoc on new tubes. I would have the rim and rim tape inspected, then replace the tire. That should rule out everything!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Pull off the rim tape and sand the inside of the rim with a piece of sandpaper. You might have a burr somewhere.

I had a wheel once that had a hairline crack and it would cause flats.Check your rim very carefully, with a flashlight.

Use Velox rim tape.

And match the puncture with the rim, see what is causing it..

The valve hole can cause the tube to tear. You can file it to make it a little larger, or it could have a burr also..you can place a piece of duct tape on the inside of the rim at the valve over the rim tape..

You could have a bunch of defective tubes. Are they all the same kind?

If you used the tire on the road, check the outside casing to see if there is a thorn or small piece of glass embedded. It might be very hard to see and you can't feel it on the inside. It will work it's way through when you are on your bike..you will have to pull it out with your fingernail or a small screwdriver..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Replace your tires -- I went through a situation like that and it turned out to be made-in-Thailand tires that I bought from Performance. Use tires with good reviews.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you change your tires, send them to me and I will find anything in them.

A friend of mine double flated and after wasting 2 C02s on a training ride. I did not want him to waist another tube, so I looked over the tire and found 5 pieces of glass.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How much do you weigh? What size tires do you have? It could also be pinch flats, where larger tires might correct this issue it's not actually puncture flats.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
i love how all these people are throwing causes out there when they haven't seen the wheel/tire. you HAVE to find the punture in the tube before you can actually FIX the problem. put air in the tube and find the hole...then proceed.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
+1

cxwrench said:
i love how all these people are throwing causes out there when they haven't seen the wheel/tire. you HAVE to find the punture in the tube before you can actually FIX the problem. put air in the tube and find the hole...then proceed.
Word. What he said. Full stop.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
I appreciate the fact that some people want to help. I was blown away the first time someone stopped to offer me a new tube when I was patching a flat.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a new wheel last week and five flats since then usually after 80-120km into the rides...no nails found but one can see that the tubes were punctured in the inside where they touch the rim-one of the flats-another flat in the side where they touch the tire wall but not the area of the tire that touches the ground...I havent had a flat in two years, I am using new gator tires, and I have pumped them up to 120, then 115 and 110 psi thinking that it may be the the tire psi pressure, and ride on clean surfaces..all these flats dont make sense...any ideas?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts