Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Does anyone on this board have it? How has it changed your bike riding? I am being prescribed Procrit (EPO), because my Hematocrit and Iron level is very low.
Scared,
Stan

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't have it. But just wanted to say, you are on my prayer list.

Ice man

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
umm

netso said:
I have just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Does anyone on this board have it? How has it changed your bike riding? I am being prescribed Procrit (EPO), because my Hematocrit and Iron level is very low.
Scared,
Stan

Good luck.....you are definitely on my prayer list.

·
Registered
62 Posts
leukemia

Netso....I have a rare form of leukemia called hairy cell, it is not terminal but it is chronic. I am currently undergoing a relapse and had chemo on thursday. Yesterday I rode for an hour and 15...felt a little tired but great to be out in shorts in Chicago. I was in the hospital 3 weeks ago for 12 days due to fevers from my chemo. I really de-condtioned in the hospital and lost alot of muscle in my legs. I was back on the bike a week and a half later. I am finally starting to feel good again but I have 5 more chemo sessions to go through. The way I approach it is day by day.....do I feel well enough to ride today.....some days I don't and I don't ride. As far as your diagnosis.....I don't know enough about myeloma to give you any advice except....stay positive and enjoy your days on the bike. take nothing for granted. I hope your treatment goes well. keep in touch via private message.

·
go up
648 Posts
Netso,

We'll be keeping you in our thoughts. My oldest son is about to go through a second stem cell/bone marrow transplant in a couple weeks.

You may have found these already, but if not, spend some time looking at these sites: www.leukemia.org and www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/leukemia. Learn about what you have and what you're going to be getting into; knowledge helped us all get through so much. You can find many others going through the same thing you are.

Any chemo or other nasties for your treatment? Whatever the treatment, be a fighter.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts