Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Scientists from King's College at the University of London, for example, recently determined that people trying to juggle phone calls, e-mail and other routine office distractions suffered a greater loss of IQ than someone smoking marijuana."


Of course it did not go on to say whether doing all those things stoned was better; going off the assumption of course that two negatives equal a positive.....hmmmm
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
svend said:
"Scientists from King's College at the University of London, for example, recently determined that people trying to juggle phone calls, e-mail and other routine office distractions suffered a greater loss of IQ than someone smoking marijuana."


Of course it did not go on to say whether doing all those things stoned was better; going off the assumption of course that two negatives equal a positive.....hmmmm
I'm not sure that smoking pot lowers IQ--it does interfere with short term memory loss, but that comes back after time. Alcohol abuse, on the other hand, kills brain cells and can--over time--cause brain damage.

seems like kinda a apples to oranges argument though
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bocephus Jones II said:
seems like kinda a apples to oranges argument though

When has that ever stopped someone from comparing something? Regardless, I'm going to use it when my wife complains I don't multitask enough....."Honey, I could do all those things at once but then I would get dumb, just like they said at Kings College"......
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotty2Hotty said:
I don't remember...

dude, you ordered thirty tacos......now share
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
svend said:
dude, you ordered thirty tacos......now share
That's OK...I have 3 quarts of ben & Jerrys in the freezer.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,208 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm not sure that smoking pot lowers IQ--it does interfere with short term memory loss, but that comes back after time. Alcohol abuse, on the other hand, kills brain cells and can--over time--cause brain damage.

seems like kinda a apples to oranges argument though
There was a study back in grad school that showed heavy pot use lowers academic achievement in terms of test scores and college grades. But the interesting thing was their definition of heavy.

7 times a week.

If you only smoked 6 times a week, there was no measurable negative effect on academic performance. So take a day off every week.

Another study smoked people up, paid them to do it, and then gave them $20 for cab fare home (because the bus would be too much to handle it seems). Better than having a sweat gland carved out of your armpit for sure... though that one paid a lot more.

And no, I did not participate in any of those studies.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,478 Posts
svend said:
"Scientists from King's College at the University of London, for example, recently determined that people trying to juggle phone calls, e-mail and other routine office distractions suffered a greater loss of IQ than someone smoking marijuana."
Hmm, I know someone who made the dean's list at UC Santa Barbara during his most stoned out semester.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
dr hoo said:
7 times a week.

If you only smoked 6 times a week, there was no measurable negative effect on academic performance. So take a day off every week.
and is that 7 times a week smoking an ounce a day in the party bong or just a small hit off a joint? I'd imagine there would be some difference there.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Does this mean that parents of two children are also lowering their IQ? Hey, we only have to arrange our schedules to drive them to and from daycare, fit in doing the laundry, grocery shopping, painting the house, car repairs, making sure that supper is ready by 17.30, bedtime by 20.00, and then all the visits to the dentist, doctor, library, extra activities like the swimming pool and skiing, etc., etc., etc. Love making? What the heck is that ;)?
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wayneanneli said:
Does this mean that parents of two children are also lowering their IQ? Hey, we only have to arrange our schedules to drive them to and from daycare, fit in doing the laundry, grocery shopping, painting the house, car repairs, making sure that supper is ready by 17.30, bedtime by 20.00, and then all the visits to the dentist, doctor, library, extra activities like the swimming pool and skiing, etc., etc., etc. Love making? What the heck is that ;)?
Wayne start making love immediately. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars. The only known cure for such a schedule is reckless, wanton love making and lots of it. Do it for your kids. No kid wants dumb parents........
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
svend said:
Wayne start making love immediately. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars. The only known cure for such a schedule is reckless, wanton love making and lots of it. Do it for your kids. No kid wants dumb parents........
Wayne I hear ya--as hot as my wife is, sometimes at the end of the day after getting the kids to bed all we want to do is sleep. When I was 18 and/or single I would have never thought that possible, but it's true.
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bocephus Jones II said:
Wayne I hear ya--as hot as my wife is, sometimes at the end of the day after getting the kids to bed all we want to do is sleep. When I was 18 and/or single I would have never thought that possible, but it's true.
I saw that pic of your wife...step away from the bong

/ still doesn't believe it's possible
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lousylegs said:
Humph, well, it is Banana Slug U - :D
fyi....Banana Slug U is UC Santa Cruz....near coop

UC Santa Barbara is the Gauchos
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top