Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some ways to improve muscle endurance? I'm riding a lot of hills now and as I get near the top my legs start to give out. I have plenty of leg strength, I can leg press 450lbs with no problems but on long climbs I suffer.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am climbing more, where I just moved to there is nothing but hills, well except for one small mountain. Guess I'll just suck it up and suffer, i am seeing a slight increase in my ability, I'm sure part of it is from riding the couch to much this past year.

· Registered
70 Posts
Have you done any interval training? Before I had my accident we were doing one leg interval training and it was intense. Our problem here in Illinois is that we dont have a lot of big hills so the interval training is what we have to do. The other question I have is are you feeding regularly throughout your ride? Hydration is one thing and I'm sure your keeping up on that but food is sometimes overlooked. I'd try a gel like Gu or Accel-gel for some energy during the ride. I use both during my longer rides, the Gu is great for normal feedings (45 minutes into your ride and 45 minutes thereafter) and the Accel-gel is for your last feeding because it has potassium in it. That will aid in your recovery. Just a few thoughts.

Edit: I was mistaken its Protein that is different about the Accel-gel they both have potassium.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Maybe try lower gears (faster cadence). You might be relying on that strength and mashing tall gears. That might be what works for you, but it's worth seeing if you can develop a little more slow-twitch fiber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.