Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

I would like to know the name of the muscle that is on the front of the thigh located about 75% upwards from the knee just a few inches below where the leg hangs from (sorry about my explanation!). Is it still known as the *quad* or is it a different muscle?

I ask because I moved my saddle *back* (aft) a mere 4 mm (i.e ~1.5mm further away from the pedals) and after first two rides (~80 miles in total) I have a sore muscles on both legs about 4 inches below where the leg starts i.e very much "upper" and "upper middle" quad area, as I would call it. This surprised me since I did not expect quad muscle being sore as a result of effectively raising the saddle by a mere 1.5mm by moving it back just 4 or 5 mm max. Normally the quads get sore by either moving the saddle forward (fore) or lowering it. Perhaps something else is amiss.

Clues please?

thanks

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that was super quick

b987654 said:
http://www.innerbody.com/image/musfov.html

who needs edjukashion when u got google!!!!
internet speed! Thanks. It looks like it is part of my quads that is sore then. It is a mystery why this happened after I moved saddle back 4-5mm since I effectively increased the saddle to pedal distance by at least 1mm, if anything, I would have expected sore hams/calves. Perhaps I went too hard too soon.

· Registered
176 Posts
After this years fit on a new bike my seat is around 3/4 of an inch higher than it used to be. I was told to just spin for 10 hours before any hard efforts. Second day i rode hard and i was sore in places i didn't know there were muscles.

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
A slight change will make different muscles work that never had to work that hard before. Yesterday on a 74 mile ride my Rectus Femoris blew up, and I knew my saddle was too low. I got home, measure up my seat height, and sure as heck the seat was 8mm lower than normal. That mere 8mm made for a lot of pain on the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.