Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have described "recruiting" core muscles, hip muscles, butt muscles, whatever muscles when cycling.

Is this a conscious effort? Do I need to be consciously acting to recruit different muscle groups in my pedal stroke? Or in my back/body position?

right now, I guess, I keep my upper body/arms relaxed and as aero as possible, and just work on a smooth spin as far as legs go. anything I'm missing here?

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
It _can_ be a conscious effort, but usually don't even worry about it.

It can be a good pedaling drill to imagine pulling your knee toward your handlebars, and scraping mud off your shoe, etc, but in a routine riding situation just ride.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
If you're thinking about your pedal stroke you will likely slow down. You need to practice it all the time so when it comes time to pedal perfectly in a race you don't need to think about it. Circular pedaling will recruit more muscles than stomping.. but it's been proven you can't pull up enough to actually help. You're basically just negating the weight of your downward leg and foot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.