Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of tough miles (for middle-aged me) the past 2 weeks (multiple 30-65mi energetic club rides) to the point of feeling fatigued with sore legs. Took a day completely off prior to a 52mi club ride 2 days ago, but could only muster mediocre speed and felt somewhat drained. Took another day off yesterday, but 40mi today was similarly disappointing. Strange thing is- been having difficulty getting my heart rate up beyond LT these past couple rides 'cause the legs fatigue too quickly. I feel like I'm hydrating well & getting good, balanced calories post-ride and during my recovery day, just not bouncing back after the latest increase in mileage. Are multiple recovery days useful ?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Recovery, recovery, recovery

Oldteen said:
Are multiple recovery days useful ?
You describe classic overtraining or illness. If your recovery rides are slow enough to make you feel really guilty about going so slow, then yes, multiple recovery days are useful. Most people have the problem that they "just can't resist" going faster, and so they screw up their recovery rides.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im in the same boat right now, rode too hard without proper rest and know I need to take it easy for a week to recover. It's hard but worth it/ Everytime im away from the bike for more than a single rest day it makes we want to ride evenmore next time im on. Last weekend I did some hard hill climbing repeats for 2 hours on fri evening, sat rode hard again fr 3 hours, then sunday I was feeling tired sore so I ended up eating to much and was ill on the road 75kms from home. Anyways, it wasnt a fun ride home. Now im taking it easy till I get my legs back

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
EXACTTLY right

Kerry Irons said:
Most people have the problem that they "just can't resist" going faster, and so they screw up their recovery rides.
This is spot on.

I foul up my recovery rides all the time because "oh, why bother to be out here at this speed?"

When I actually convince myself to go 15mph or so, the next day I'm much more ready to hit the intervals.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Argentius said:
This is spot on.

I foul up my recovery rides all the time because "oh, why bother to be out here at this speed?"

When I actually convince myself to go 15mph or so, the next day I'm much more ready to hit the intervals.
I hope my ultra slow MS 150 ride (75 sat/75 sun) on my hardtrail was a good recovery..

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
As I get older, I find that adequate recovery time is more and more important. My best (eg, fastest) rides inevitably happen after I've been forced to take some time off the bike. When I ride have tough rides and/or put in a lot of miles, my performance starts to suffer. As a result, I've cut back from riding 5-6 days/week several years ago to about 4 days/week now. My legs are feeling much better as a result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.