Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Lownge! --Spaghetti squash is .39/lb. I have a couple family members coming over to help hand out halloween candy tomorrow evening. I want food just in case someone gets hungry - not serving up a formal dinner.

I love spaghetti squash, and got some at low price. I can do marinara sauce, but how can I fix up a mushroom sauce this evening that can be easily set up tomorrow? I would like to cook tonite, then warm up tomorrow, throw in some more white wine, a bit more oil, stir it up, and have it be deserving of company.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Hi, Lownge! --Spaghetti squash is .39/lb. I have a couple family members coming over to help hand out halloween candy tomorrow evening. I want food just in case someone gets hungry - not serving up a formal dinner.

I love spaghetti squash, and got some at low price. I can do marinara sauce, but how can I fix up a mushroom sauce this evening that can be easily set up tomorrow? I would like to cook tonite, then warm up tomorrow, throw in some more white wine, a bit more oil, stir it up, and have it be deserving of company.
Seperate sauce? Or one sauce? Chicken Cacciatore is a tomato based mushroom sauce... at least in my family it is. Or are you thinking of having a marina and a mushroom sauce separately with both available? I often make a fast partner for fusilli by hard searing, in a very generous amount of olive oil, mushrooms, then halved grape toatos, then summer squash... add garlic and basil just before finishing. Serve with Pecorino Romano. Not a sauce, but a family fave. I don't work with spaghetti squash, so I'm no help there...

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
separate non-tomato sauce.

your partner is good, but for this occasion I want to knock this out in advance, rather than throw it together at mealtime.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
separate non-tomato sauce.

your partner is good, but for this occasion I want to knock this out in advance, rather than throw it together at mealtime.
Any chance you have home made stock in the freezer? Chicken or veal would be first choices... will the squash hold OK for next day? I'll do a mushroom veloute once in a while. I LOVE it, family is so-so (wife, is meh daughter is better...). You know, chicken cacciatore holds GREAT. You could serve it over the squash. It's some work though, to make... You know, a super thick pork/ mushroom ragu would be great. Sausages, out of casing, garlic, basil tomato, heavy on some paste so its thick. Sear hearty dark shrooms, wilder the better... maybe just a hint of chianti to de-glaze once cooked off after browning the pork and shrooms?

I dont know the squash well enough though... I love winter squashes, I haven't used this in this way. I'd go traditional soup, easy make ahead, hold up great, put it on, eat on the fly, everyone tends to like it... mushroom and winter squash soup would be awesome. Traditional spicing, keep it simple...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
For spaghetti squash I would just go with butter and oil and cheese and pepper.

If you want a mushroom sauce, I would suggest browning the mushrooms well, deglazing with wine, and then putting that in the fridge. Finish the sauce the next day however you want, it won't take much more time than just warming the sauce, really.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I love Spaghetti squash , but in my opinion it doesn't hold up that great to tomato sauce. I pefer to cook in some Cherry tomatoes, perhaps, some fresh garlic and herbs. the cherry tomatoes break down and become a sort of sauce too, but its not so over-whelming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.