Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just stepped into the world of road bikes, and so far this is so fun(though low-speed :/ too much weight?)

I just bought my bike, lights, saddlebag, and speedometer.

I am new to road bike, so I was gonna let the mechanics do the jobs,
but I think I just need to do some basic stuffs, or emergency fixes.

So, I am thinking about getting a small toolkit that has hex wrenches. oh and a tire repair kit, for now.

Any recommendations on brands or model?
(I am hoping for less number of tools for basic jobs:)

Also, if there is any kits or tools that are must-have for all road-bike-riders, please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and I also need a cleaning tool.
chain cleaner tool, regular wiping out cleaner should do it?

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
You should have a good floor pump. A Topeak Joe Blow Sport or Sprint model would be a great starting point. Also, Bondhus ball end hex keys are very good for the money. Some plastic tire levers (Pedros makes nice ones), a patch kit, and spare tubes/tires are things you should have. If you don't have a bike multi-tool, it's not a bad idea to pick one up for the road. Lezyne SV series are nice.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
For me just a few things

1. floor pump
2. multi tool
3. tire levers
4. credit card for everything else

I am not qualified nor do I want to be qualified to fix my bike. I leave that to someone else.

I ride a fixed gear exclusively so there is not a lot that goes wrong that I cant fix with the limited tools I do have.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Oil: Don't forget to keep your chain and moving parts clean and LIGHTLY oiled. You can search here for brand opinions. Surprisingly... how to clean/oil the chain isn't something we all agree on.

A bicycle work stand: I use mine even when I just wash my bicycle. But some sort of stand or hanger is absolutely preferred when working on a bicycle. There are also many DIY work stand solutions as well.

YouTube: No Joke! So MANY bicycle repair and maintenance videos on YouTube.... great way to learn a little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs!!!
how about cleaning tools?

I saw there are some muc-off cleaning tools,
should I just pick couple of items from their collections?
Thinking one for frame, one for parts, and a brush

G

·
Most bike shops carry Park tools which are good quality..I do not have a bike shop close to the house so I shop for stuff at REI quite a bit because they have that great refund policy. They have 20% off sales which are great to pick up items that are more expensive.

Basic tools: flat tire repair tools, which are plastic levers, patch kit, and a pump. At home a basic floor pump and on the road either a mini pump or a CO2 kit. The mini pump is a bit more reliable in use. A metric hex wrench set comes in a kit with all sizes. A phillips screwdriver, some chainlube. All I do with my chain is turn the chain and put on a few drops of teflon chain lube. Then wipe it down with a paper towel. I use 409 and paper towels to wipe off grease. So just a few basic tools and then over time you will probably pick up more tools as you decide to take on more maintenance tasks.

I have been riding for 50 years and I pretty much have a tool for everything. My latest bike I just bought a frame and set the bike up myself. I build my own wheels. I basically bought tools as I needed them over the years. I think one of the most fun parts in cycling is doing your own maintenance.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Thanks for the inputs!!!

Thinking one for frame, one for parts, and a brush
One of my best tools for that is called: A rag.

Other than the obvious (wrenches and stuff so deal with changing tires) just buy things as you discover you need them. In my experience someone new to a hobby (not just cycling) who buys a bunch of stuff in anticipation of needed it will end up with a bunch of stuff they never use hanging around.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
A bicycle work stand: I use mine even when I just wash my bicycle. But some sort of stand or hanger is absolutely preferred when working on a bicycle. There are also many DIY work stand solutions as well.
Due to budget constraints, I just use the trunk mounted bike rack on my car... it works, I've done entire rebuilds from the frame up that way. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
What I carry with my ride is the following:

1. Spare tube
2. 2 tire levers
3. Multitool with hex and philips screw driver
4. Tire patch
5. 2 CO2 canisters and CO2 inflator

What I have at home to tune my bike

1. Chain tool to install new or modify chain length
2. Bicycle pump with pressure indicator
3. rear cassette remover
4. Spoke adjuster to true the wheel
5. Different sized wrenches

·
Registered
354 Posts
After a year and half of riding, the most used tools for me have been (importance in descending order):

Floor pump
Bike repair stand
Set of allen keys
Pedal wrench
Cassette swap tools (chainwhip+lockring tool)
Torx T25 screwdriver (if you have ISO rotor compatible disc brake bikes)
Cable/housing cutter with crimper
Small wrench
Chain tool
Various sized philips+flathead screwdrivers
Hammer (LRMT - Last Resort MustHave Tool)

I also have other fancy tools, but they get seldom use (a good thing).

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I have special tools for nearly everything- building bikes and wheels and also welding and machining. I've machined simple parts for many of my bikes.
But I have never needed special cleaning tools. I use paper towels and diluted 409 to clean bikes. I actually used one of those chain cleaning gizmos for the first time the other day. I've had it for 10 years but this used bike I bought had some really persistent gunk on the chain and my normal chain cleaning method (rag + wd40) wasn't enough.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
No need for them whatsoever. As others have noted, a rag does the job for nearly everything. Sometimes you need to dampen it with water to remove stickies and sometimes you need to wet it with solvent to remove grease. You can clean between the cassette cogs by "flossing" with the rag, clean the chain by running it through a rag, clean the chain rings by wiping with a rag - you get the picture.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I, OTOH, have an entire bucket full of cleaning 'tools'. When you have to clean between 8 and ???(as many as 18) bikes every day, they definitely come in handy. For my personal bike...a rag and cleaner of some type. I've been using VeloShine Bikewipes lately and they work pretty well except for the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
....how about cleaning tools?

I use a bucket for hot soapy water (dish soap). I use the same big sponge that I also use to wash the car. I really like my dish washing brush I use on the chain and cogs. And a have a tight little flat scrubbing pad.... works great for cleaning off the brake pads or and road tar.

When washing the bike.... I spray a little degreaser on the chain and parts to cut the grease. But I haven't found any of the bicycle specific cleaning tools to be helpful.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Due to budget constraints, I just use the trunk mounted bike rack on my car... it works, I've done entire rebuilds from the frame up that way. :)
What a great idea!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts