Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Pledge wipes for 99% of the cleaning. A quick wipe after every ride goes a long way in keeping the bike as clean as I'd like it to be.
If there is mud then a painters brush and soapy water.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A box of brownies. Crucial tool. When I can't figure something out myself, or are time crunched, I bring the bike and brownies to Mike at Pedal Power, and things get done. Life is good!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/59399246">How to remove a frozen stem - Gonzlab Bicycle Tutorial</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6789630">andy white</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
The most must have tools are the ones you'll use. I think the most essential tools are your basic tools, tire irons and the QuikStik (look it up if you don't know what it is), and of course a pump. Next most essential is a mini tool, a good one like the Park MTB3 is capable of doing a lot of basic simple repairs either on the road or at home. After that it all depends on your skill level as to how far you want to get into tools, I would not buy any other tools unless a need arises then buy only what you need for the job at hand...DON'T buy a tool kit because some of the tools you probably already have, while others you may never use, so just buy a tool as the need arises.

As far as cleaning goes, simply spray a rag with WD40 and wipe the tool down then take another rag and put some oil (like 3 in 1, even light weight engine oil, trans oil, etc) on the rag and rewipe it down leaving a fine film of oil on the tool. Working on bikes will not make the tools as grimy as working on a car does to tools, so any grime will be light and easily removed with WD40 scrub and wipe.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Check out pricepoint.com for decent prices on tools.

I like the 4,5,6 mm hex wrenches, the magnetic parts bowl and cable housing cutters.

Oh and a chain whip and cassette nut remover (not sure of the technical name).

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
[/QUOTE]
geez, if you read all the previous posts, we tell you what brands to consider. We also told you not to get a tool kit, buy only the tools that you need at the time you need them, with a tool kit you'll end up with tools you probably already have lying around, and you'll end up with tools you might never use, so don't get a tool kit, if you want something to start out with then consider a mini (multi) tool for the time being. Park use to have a great mini tool but they no longer make it, so I would now consider the Blackburn Wayside 19, this one is unique because you can actually remove the hex tools which none of the multi tools do; also the Topeak Mini 20 Pro; and the last one would be the Topeak Hexus X; read the details a about the tools included and get the one that would suit your needs the best. I have a multi tool that is my go to tool even when at home because it's convenient to access and I don't have to rummage through my tool box to find something, it's right there in my seat bag, and it does about 98% of the stuff I do with my bikes. Sure it won't remove a crank, but I've only had to do that once in 40 years, so I bought a tool to do that at the time but now it sits in my drawer where it will set for another 20 or more years! Keep in mind too that a specific tool to do something specific that you might only do once in your lifetime could cost more than the shop doing it for you.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Did the forum just have hiccup or is this the weirdest dredge ever? The quoted post doesn't seem to really exist or if you click on the link to it, it just shows a bunch of Look brand related posts? Pricepoint.com, there's a good memory.

·
Super Moderator
40,837 Posts
[QUOTE="bvber,
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out that spam-quote that needed editing.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Did the forum just have hiccup or is this the weirdest dredge ever? The quoted post doesn't seem to really exist or if you click on the link to it, it just shows a bunch of Look brand related posts? Pricepoint.com, there's a good memory.
I didn't post anything from PricePoint!? and a mod edited it?? I didn't post any links, I was posting nothing but text which is still there. Why would PricePoint pop up, they haven't been around for years.

·
Super Moderator
40,837 Posts
I didn't post anything from PricePoint!? and a mod edited it?? I didn't post any links, I was posting nothing but text which is still there. Why would PricePoint pop up, they haven't been around for years.

Exactly. I edited out the spam, not your reply.

Reactions: Coolhand

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
@froze, I didn't read the thread until the offending post had already been deleted. My mention of pricepoint.com was from the last post in the thread when it was current way back in 2013 which mentions checking out that site. Sorry to cause confusion there. I was just being nostalgic. Pricepoint... the reaallly old version of bikepro.... and my favorite was Supergo... not to mention the paper version of the Excel Sports catalog that preceded online.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts