Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forums and cycling. I have been reading the forums for a couple weeks trying to learn as much as I can. Never realized there was as much to cycling as there is. I'm 6'2'', 230lbs. Only thing I've rode is a Wal Mart MTB.

I am going to the LBS tomorrow to buy my first bike. Its a 2008 Giant FCR-2. Getting it for $650. I know I need a helmet, gloves, shoes for basic riding. What else do I need to get? I just ordered a Cat Eye Astrale 8 for $25. Can you guys give me some of the must have things so I can get while at LBS tomorrow.

Thanks for the help...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Hello, new to the forums and cycling. I have been reading the forums for a couple weeks trying to learn as much as I can. Never realized there was as much to cycling as there is. I'm 6'2'', 230lbs. Only thing I've rode is a Wal Mart MTB.

I am going to the LBS tomorrow to buy my first bike. Its a 2008 Giant FCR-2. Getting it for $650. I know I need a helmet, gloves, shoes for basic riding. What else do I need to get? I just ordered a Cat Eye Astrale 8 for $25. Can you guys give me some of the must have things so I can get while at LBS tomorrow.

A seat pack..with spare tube and some type of inflator.. I prefer C02 inflators.. and a mini tool....and tire levers...

You will get flats...it happens to everyone...you need to learn to change one from the road..It's no fun getting a flat 25 miles from home and have no way to change it.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
A couple of pairs of good-quality shorts and jerseys and a blinky red light for the back of your seat pack that contains 2x tubes, CO2s, tire levers, an inflation valve, and a patch kit.

...and don't go into the LBS bragging about finding good deals on the internet. It's sort of like a guy telling his girlfriend about checking out a hot woman he saw earlier- we know you do it, but we don't want to hear about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
please dont go bragging about online purchases. you'll never gain a friend at a LBS. that is our number one pet peeve. bibs are nicer than shorts. they do take a couple rides to get use to but so much better because they dont slide around or have waistbands. like others have said:

•tubes- notice it is plural
•chain lube/ general purpose lube
•hex wrench set (for home adjustments)
•some form of inflation co2 or mini hand pump
•home floor pump
•bib shorts and jerseys
•eyewear. road debris and bugs are terrible to pick out of your eye
•small toolbox to keep everything in.
•a thorough bike fit. this will do more for your performance than anything else. i almost say this is number one on the importance list.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

As stated you need a small multi-tool, plus a tire patch kit. I suggest getting a frame type pump as opposed to CO2. CO2 has it's place, but to start out with get a pump. You will need one at some point regardless, so even if you do move later to CO2, you will still need this, so it's not wasting money. Then learn how to fix a flat. Learn how to adjust a saddle (basically no more than 1/4in at a time). For starters, you can go slow with doing any repairs if you are so inclined. the multi-tool will allow you to adjust your saddle, and handlebars while riding, which especially with your saddle, is the best way to go. The tools are not expensive (say, $15 to $25.00) but it's a must have IMO. A saddle bag was mentioned, you need a place to put this stuff. When you ride, always take ID, Insurance card (if you have it), Credit card (if you have it), money (you must have money as you have internet access), cell phone (if you have it), helmet (you should have one).
note: you didn't mention pedals. bikes are typically sold without pedals, this will be an extra purchase that of course you need. expect it. You can do the clipless thing later, or now. if you do it now, I suggest SPD pedals because you can walk in them (ask the shop why this is true)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts