Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally. Picked it up Saturday. I took the damn thing to the shop in March. It looks great. I'm glad I had him repaint the fork because the colors were off. Worth getting right.

Sunday morning I took it to my LBS to have the headset pressed in and get a few final small parts for the build. They said "Leave it here and come back in a few hours when we're not so busy. We'll get it done today." Well I got to the shop at 525pm and they closed at 500pm. FAIL.

I peeked in the back door and there was my frame with the new headset waiting for me. I was :cryin:. So back I go tonight to pick it up and start getting the parts moved over from the Trek.

Sorry no pics yet. FAIL #2. I'll try and get some up tomorrow.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FAIL #3 ALERT!!

I picked up the frame last night and it looks great with the HS & fork all installed, etc. Apparently I also picked up some massive freaking virus or headcold or something. I am running a 101 fever and am achy and my throat hurts. So I put the frame on my work bench and went to bed at 830pm. Didn't install one part or take one picture.

I suck. I'll do my best for tonight.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Fail...you must redeem yourself for this dissapointing no picture poast.

G

·
"gel'

That was worth waiting for.

Beautiful.

And a flat crown fork to boot, you is a lucky man indeed.

Gorgeous.

Hey - any idea who your painter used to do the decals??

I need to get in touch with him I think.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks TMB. High praise from you.

He only touched up the dings in the frame, so it's basically the same as before. The fork got the brunt of the attention. I didn't think the "proper" MXL paint job would work on that fork so I had him just copy that frame stripe down the fork. I think it turned out great.

Painter Dave Cheakas did mention that he had Merckx stencils in his library somewhere. So it would be worth calling him to see what he's got. Also mentioned that he had a stash of MAX tubing for any repairs that might be needed.

A few of the guys at the LBS were very complimentary too. One guy said "Remind me in September and I'll get Eddy to autograph some stuff for you when I go to Interbike." I think I'll take some pics of the built up bike and get him to sign those. :thumbsup:

Last question, do you REALLY think the MXL is an upgrade from the Trek? :D

toomanybikes said:
"gel'

That was worth waiting for.

Beautiful.

And a flat crown fork to boot, you is a lucky man indeed.

Gorgeous.

Hey - any idea who your painter used to do the decals??

I need to get in touch with him I think.

G

·
Innergel,

I was thinking about your bike today, and the pics of the Trek.

I don't know what the relationship of the head tube length is to what you need, but if you are possibly looking at having to use a bunch of spacers, take a look at the "heads up" product that Serotta make.

It is a press fit unit that goes into the head tube, essentially extends the head tube by 20 mm, and cuts down on the sapcer stack.

My guess is you could even get your painter to paint it for you.

http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=HEADSUP&Category_Code=SSAMP

I think this is a brilliant product.

· Registered
21 Posts
That fork turned out brilliant! I agree with your painter that the original MXL fork graphic perhaps wouldn't have suited the relatively slender nature of the De Rosa fork. Also good on him to try again to get the color match just right. You have one pretty bike in the making.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Knowing this frame is slightly undersized to begin with, I'm going to have to make some compromises on my preferred aesthetics. A little bit longer post and spacer stack are defintely two spots that will have to be tweaked. I'd have preferred 2cm taller and at least 1cm longer in the TT, but beggars can't be choosers in this instance.

I intend to leave the fork alone until I can get the fit dialed in just right. The reality is that I could tolerate some more drop on the Trek so any differential on the MXL should be doable. There is 10cm of fork above the HS. I'm thinking a 3cm spacer stack is what it will take. That will hopefully give me a level stem and the proper saddle/bar drop.

Once I get the fit dialed in, I'll start swapping out parts with more appropriate ones. I've got plenty in the parts bin that will allow me to move stuff around without spending a bunch of cash. I'll definitely keep that Serotta bit in mind.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Keep em coming.

toomanybikes said:
Innergel,

I was thinking about your bike today, and the pics of the Trek.

I don't know what the relationship of the head tube length is to what you need, but if you are possibly looking at having to use a bunch of spacers, take a look at the "heads up" product that Serotta make.

It is a press fit unit that goes into the head tube, essentially extends the head tube by 20 mm, and cuts down on the sapcer stack.

My guess is you could even get your painter to paint it for you.

http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=HEADSUP&Category_Code=SSAMP

I think this is a brilliant product.

G

·
innergel said:
Knowing this frame is slightly undersized to begin with, I'm going to have to make some compromises on my preferred aesthetics. A little bit longer post and spacer stack are defintely two spots that will have to be tweaked. I'd have preferred 2cm taller and at least 1cm longer in the TT, but beggars can't be choosers in this instance.

I intend to leave the fork alone until I can get the fit dialed in just right. The reality is that I could tolerate some more drop on the Trek so any differential on the MXL should be doable. There is 10cm of fork above the HS. I'm thinking a 3cm spacer stack is what it will take. That will hopefully give me a level stem and the proper saddle/bar drop.

Once I get the fit dialed in, I'll start swapping out parts with more appropriate ones. I've got plenty in the parts bin that will allow me to move stuff around without spending a bunch of cash. I'll definitely keep that Serotta bit in mind.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Keep em coming.
well, the nice thing about the Serotta part is that it becomes part of your head tube, essentially a head tube extension, so you 30 mm of spacers would in fact only be 10 mm. Probably sounder, safer, and definitely better looking.

· Registered
175 Posts
Very nice combo innergel!, MXL with flat crown fork, enjoy!

Toomany, could you school me on the safety issue of too many spacers, Is there a big difference between a spacer stack of 10 mm, or 30 mm in terms of handling or safety?

Best, vlckx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.