Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as a result of a car backing out of a driveway into me (at a high rate of speed. the seat tube is fractured all the way around the tube just above the derailleur clamp. The frame and fork will need to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a frame replacement and what frame would specialized recommend to replace my frame. The guy who hit me is either going through his car insurance or pay me replacement value.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure its documented. I've heard of numerous people promising to pay up, and when they hear how much bike replacements/repairs are, they deny everything and make it a big hassle. I highly recommend having at least a police report if you haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Advise

I actually had the guy call for an ambulance for me which automatically dispatched a police car. I have the paramedics report, the officers incident number, my doctor's observations and the guys home address, phone numbers and car insurance (this is the first thing I asked for after he hit me).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great, I know from personal experience how confusing it can be immediately after an incident. You can get confused and forget stuff in the moment.

Any ways, back to your question, why don't you just have the whole bike replaced? Price out what a new specialized roubaix is and either get a new one or bike of your choice for x amount of money. With the amount of impact your bike sustained, I don't know how much I would trust any other parts like seat post, handlebars, etc. After you piecemeal a bike together from spare parts minus the drive train, I bet you'll get close (to a few to several hundred) to the cost of a new bike.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
you can get any frame or complete bike you want, with insurance settlement money ... this was an S-Works Roubaix w/ Dura-Ace, that got smashed, right? ;)

it's not as if Spec'y is going to do a "warranty replacement" ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Speshy does offer a crash replacement program, if I recall correctly. I think it's 20% off of retail.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
pdainsworth said:
Speshy does offer a crash replacement program, if I recall correctly. I think it's 20% off of retail.
Meh ... I got a much better discount on a brand-new frameset through my bike club.

Cannondale's crash-replacement policy, at least on Alum frames, seems better from what I've read.

·
Registered
717 Posts
tom_h said:
Meh ... I got a much better discount on a brand-new frameset through my bike club.

Cannondale's crash-replacement policy, at least on Alum frames, seems better from what I've read.
And I got a great deal ordering mine through an employee purchase, but not everyone ha access to these deals. I am just trying to give him a hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.