Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· I like the BIG RING
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just completed the Montauk Century yesterday and had a great ride. Excellent weather, a thousand or so great people and a course that was very forgiving. The 5BBC did a decent job organizing it, only a few hiccups, and minor ones at that. (No truck at the first rest area and not enough showers at the finish. I got there early and still waited almost an hour!)
So, I pedaled my Madone at a decent pace, and had an average speed of 16.8 MPH for about 102 miles (my longest ride to date was 40 miles). I learned to let someone else ride the lead and it makes pedaling a heck of a lot easier. Of course I did my share of the leading for a few fellow riders as well. After all, fair is fair. I am not too sore today either, and very surpised that I am not. A couple of Motrin goes a long way. (I ran the Long Island Half Marathon 2 weeks ago for the 5th time and I was a walking cramp for 2 days!)
It will be even more fun on the 21st of June for the Ride to Montauk now that I know the routine. It would be great to pedal with a few other people (I was on my own on this one), so if anyone cares to share part of the ride, let me know!
Word to the wise....pack your bike carefully if they truck it back for you, I suffered a hell of a 1/2 x1/4"paint rash on my new bike and I even wrapped it in bubble wrap. It's only 2 days old! FYI, Model Masters metallic black paint is exactly the same shade as the 2008 5.2 Madone!

· Registered
13 Posts
That's awesome!!!! Great job!

I did my first MS150 in mid April and the 1st day was 83 miles! But, 100 miles is a different animal!

My hat is off to you. I'm guessing by your photo that you are 'above' 40 yrs old ( I'm about to turn 43 in a few weeks ) and doesn't it feel good to know you can do something like that?

· Registered
503 Posts
Congrats -
I will be doing the Montauk in June. Live on the North Shore, do a lot of riding up here but not sure who will be riding with me in June. Several riding buddies had to bail due to other commitments. I did the Nassau to Suffolk 100k a few weeks back in the cold and rain. My 5.2 was awesome though, cant wait for the Montauk Century.

· Registered
100 Posts
Thats awesome! I am going to ride in a Century ride in October. I'm slowly working up to it and hope to drop 20+ lbs before then.

Now the personal question... What saddle are you using and did the uhmmm.... "boys" fare well on such a long ride. That may be my biggest concern.

· I like the BIG RING
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dr.mediocre said:
Thats awesome! I am going to ride in a Century ride in October. I'm slowly working up to it and hope to drop 20+ lbs before then.

Now the personal question... What saddle are you using and did the uhmmm.... "boys" fare well on such a long ride. That may be my biggest concern.
Thanks for the reply, Best of luck on yours in October.
I use a Koobi PRS saddle. It has adjustable shock absorption and split from front to back. Cost was about $100+, but a small price to pay to keep the boys lively!

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Good job on the century. I am hoping to get my first one in just training this summer for the LAF Challenge in October. I want to do really well. Have done 70 + miles fairly routinely then I start running out of supplies. Need to work on better packing. Again, good job and keep riding.

· Registered
33 Posts
dr.mediocre said:

Padded shorts. I don't think it's possible to ride a century without them! :)

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Feels good to get the first one out of the way...I did my first BPMS150 in April and started at the furthest from the end so I ended day one at exactly 101 miles. Felt great!! Looking forward to doing another in June and the hopefully live through the Hotter N Hell 100 in August in Wichita Falls (105-110 deg F with very unforgiving winds)...sounds fun....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.