Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the record show that I have been a good boy this year, sweating away in the basement and even dropping 2-3 pounds, rather then gaining 8 like last year. I worked part-time on weekends at the shop to save up money, and didn't splurge on various toys or vacations. My rewards for such self-control are all shipping this week. Woo Hoo!

My 2004 Cannondale Team Replica (size 60) just shipped.

Details on the bike:

Team Replica Specs
Frame Optimo Si Hollowgram
Fork Slice Si, full carbon
Rear Shock N/A
Rims Mavic Ksyrium SL
Hubs Mavic Ksyrium SL
Spokes Mavic Ksyrium SL
Tires Hutchinson Fusion Comp foldable,
700 x 23c, Team Edition
Pedals Not included
Crank Cannondale Si Hollowgram, 39/53
Chain Campagnolo Record, 10-speed
Rear Cogs Campagnolo Record, 12-25
Bottom Bracket Cannondale Hollowgram Si
Front Derailleur Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Record
Shifters Campagnolo Record
Handlebars Cinelli RAM
Stem Cinelli RAM
Headset Campagnolo Carbon Hiddenset
Brakeset Campagnolo Record
Brakelevers Campagnolo Record
Saddle Fi'zi:k Aliante Carbon Team Edition
Seat Post USE Alien
Colors Team Saeco Replica (gloss) (SAE).

Hubba Hubba. The only thing I am not sure of is the wheelset, which is a bit pricey for training (I have a set of Rolf Prima Elan Aeros coming for racing). I may sell them off and use a more reasonable set for training.

My old bike is listed in the classifieds here, if someone has the urge for a nice Seven Odonata (complete or frame/fork/stem/headset):

http://marketplace.consumerreview.c...sults_format=long&db_id=41612&query=retrieval

Check out the fancy oversized crank/bb action:

Lightweight Hollowgram Crankset. Our Giro d’Italia-winning Hollowgram crankset/bottom bracket system weighs just 660 grams, making it 110 grams lighter than new Dura Ace. Our precision CNC’d parts are measurably stiffer as well, for the ultimate in pedaling performance.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Race wheels (coming soon)

Rolf Prima Elan Aeros:

model: Èlan Aero
wheel size: 700c
category: lightweight
weight: 1295g set [555g/740g]
spoke count: aero 20F/24R
rim: clincher
hubs: Campagnolo and Shimano compatible

retail: $949

hubset: Each Rolf Prima wheel orbits around a proprietary new hub designed and manufactured in the USA. Patented Differential Flange Diameter™ on the rear hub lends a mechanical advantage effectively doubling the number of functional pulling spokes; increasing wheel durability. CNC machined hub shells with oversized axles provide high strength, stiffness and light weight. Optimized flange contours provide full spoke elbow support, increasing spoke life. Precision cartridge bearings feature preload adjustability on both front and rear hubs and spec low drag supplementary contact seals.

freehub mechanism: CNC machined Titanium freehub body has 3 sprung steel pawls for a bomb-proof torque transfer system. Pawls are driven by 3 hardened steel leaf springs. The system is strong, simple and dependable.

rims: The 24mm tall single cavity rim features a semi-aero rim profile with a narrow spoke bed to minimize weight. Elan rims weigh a mere 370 grams for 700c and 320 grams for the 650c version. Brushed sidewalls.

spoke & nipple: Custom aero profile spokes are heat treated and anodized black for added aerodynamic performance. Internal alloy nipples minimize rotating mass and contribute to quicker accelerating, faster climbing wheels. Patent pending Self Aligning Nipple design increases spoke life. Self-locking thread technology ensures wheels stay true.

extras: Rolf Prima wheel systems include custom width reinforced rim tape and titanium quick release skewers (89g / set).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Argh, mine has not shipped yet...

Despite the frames being set aside, payment received, and sitting in the factory a mere 50minutes away, our Klein frames have still not arrived...

·
Registered
154 Posts
new goodies -- not strictly bike related -- iPod mini

My wife suprised me with an iPod mini a few weeks ago. It rocks, and its blue. Coolest MP3 player around. Barely bigger than a Zippo lighter, great software, holds 1000 songs, great sound quality. Expensive, but super cool. The Mini is smaller than a regular iPod and isn't hard drive based. So, not as much storage capacity, but no skipping when running.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Look Kg 461

Just built my new LOOK KG 461 in the Jalabert color. 2004 Campy Record, 2004 Ksyriums, FSA carbon post, FSA Pro Team issue carbon crank (triple for the mountains), speedplay pedals, Salsa Poco handlebars, Conti GP3000 tires.

Still undecided, the final saddle and stem. Ordered a 90 degree Easton EM 90 magnesium stem (no big spacer stack for me).

Saddle will be either a red kevlar SDG Comp Ti, a red/black SDG Bel air or a black Selle Italia SLK.

Pictures when it's complete, maybe next week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Langster here

Getting my Specialized Langster built as I type. Pretty low end bike, cost less than 1 wheel of some of the other posters. Velodrome here I come, and look out if anyone gets in front of me on my first few fixed descent's!

Just by happenstance, and mostly 'bargain basement' prices, I am now the owner of 3 Specialized bikes: 1999 Allez, 2001 Stumpjumper FSR, and now 2004 Langster. Guess I need to take up residence over at the Specialized board?

hrv

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice ride!!

C-40 said:
Just built my new LOOK KG 461 in the Jalabert color. 2004 Campy Record, 2004 Ksyriums, FSA carbon post, FSA Pro Team issue carbon crank (triple for the mountains), speedplay pedals, Salsa Poco handlebars, Conti GP3000 tires.

Still undecided, the final saddle and stem. Ordered a 90 degree Easton EM 90 magnesium stem (no big spacer stack for me).

Saddle will be either a red kevlar SDG Comp Ti, a red/black SDG Bel air or a black Selle Italia SLK.

Pictures when it's complete, maybe next week.
I just built up a LOOK KG461 too.
Im a Clydesdale and it is buttery smooth yet stiff.
I'm sure youll love it.
By the way, thats the way to treat a nice frame..through the good stuff on it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
hrv said:
Getting my Specialized Langster built as I type. Pretty low end bike, cost less than 1 wheel of some of the other posters. Velodrome here I come, and look out if anyone gets in front of me on my first few fixed descent's!

Just by happenstance, and mostly 'bargain basement' prices, I am now the owner of 3 Specialized bikes: 1999 Allez, 2001 Stumpjumper FSR, and now 2004 Langster. Guess I need to take up residence over at the Specialized board?

hrv
me too. I just bought a Langster and I'll be picking it up on Friday next week (once a work bonus come's in). I'll also be using it at the velodrome. This is my first track bike despite having raced on the track before with all these loaner POS bikes.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Combination of things.....

I really don't need a new bike or frame or anything like that, but the temptation is killing me. I'm going to Sicily in a few weeks, taking the bike and am going to shop for a frame while there. If I can find a decent deal in a geometry I like, welll.....I might come home with a frame.

Getting a digi camera to shoot the ride scenery, about the only thing I have bought bike related lately is a new jersey, that retro # sold by Performance and some Spin Doctor tools to add to my tool chest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Evo spokes on Seven wheelset question

Congrats on your new bike, that looks incredible! I just had a quick question on how the Evo spokes have held up on your wheelset on your Seven (I noticed you said the rear had just been rebuilt). Did you use them on drive and nondrive side? Any noticeable lateral flex? Thanks...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Alright, alright. Time for my two bits. :) My frame arrived Wednesday at the LBS - 2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 47.5 sloping (I'm short) with Force fork - color NL4 (black with blue and silver). LBS still trying to track down an FSA Elite Pro compact crankset for me - will use a DA BB. Will have 2003 Campy Record brakes, shifters, FD and RD. Going with Chorus cassette (probably 12-25 but looking for opinions). American Classic 350 wheelset (should be here Monday) with Michelin Pro Race tires (can anyone else recommend a tire at this weight or lower but more "bullet proof?). Stella Azzura Espresso/Brianza (maybe Profi) stem and bars. USE Alien CF seatpost. Fizik Aliante carbon rail saddle. And... lastly - a Colnago headset. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah ... don't know what color tape to use yet. :)

LBS trying to "throw something together" on this bike so I can ride this weekend until cranks and wheels get here.

This bike replaces my 30 year old Gitane Tour de France. Love that bike but it's time for new technology. I think my wife let me buy the bike cuz it's a cheaper mid'life crisis pacifier than a Porsche.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My New Klein... Riding in Michigan... In March!!!

Got my 56cm Q-Pro XX last week. Have already riden it twice.. not bad for Michigan. All I can say is.. STIFF!!! Awesome cranks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I got the DA '05 crankset on order. A cool new feature is that it continues to spin while you wait at a stop light.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's my new bike for 2004: (just waiting on the frame/fork)

Colnago C-50 with PR-AL (Spider web paint scheme) size-61cm
Colnago Star full carbon fork
2004 Campagnolo Record Ergo Shifters
FSA K-Force 44cm carbon bars
Deda Mag 00 stem 120cm
Colnago carbon seatpost
Campagnolo seatpost clamp
SLR Ti saddle (Red)
Zero Gravity brakes
2004 Campagnolo Record front derailleur
2004 Campagnolo Record rear derailleur
2004 Campagnolo Record carbon crankset
Phil Wood Mag/Ti bottom bracket with alloy mounting rings
Look CX-6 carbon pedals (red)
Campagnolo Record carbon bottle cages (2)
Campagnolo Record Ti cassette 11/23
Reynolds Stratus DV carbon wheels
Campagnolo Ti lockring
Continental Competition 22 clinchers
Colnago cork bar tape (red)
Mavic Win Tech wireless computer

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
divve, my good sir ...

You rule !!!

very cool, very funny
;)

ciao

·
Registered
135 Posts
Coolhand said:
Let the record show that I have been a good boy this year, sweating away in the basement and even dropping 2-3 pounds, rather then gaining 8 like last year. I worked part-time on weekends at the shop to save up money, and didn't splurge on various toys or vacations. My rewards for such self-control are all shipping this week. Woo Hoo!
I toiled away from early November to late February as the Indoor Track coach for our girls team at the high school where I work. Practice 2 hours/day, plus meets on Saturday that basically killed a whole day of the weekend. This is not to mention the fun of putting up with prima donnas, obnoxious, boorish parents, and the scary part: "What do I do when my athletes cry because they blow a race?"

But I made it through, and now it's time to reap the rewards! I know it may sound dorky, but I'm getting an 03 Trek 5200 US Postal edition from my LBS that was overstock left over from last year (at a real deal!) I'm going from an aluminum Schwinn Passage (circa 1998) triple RSX that I got USED on eBay last March for $350 to a bike that's carbon, Ultegra, slightly smaller in frame size but fits better vis-a-vis handling...it's so sweet I'm drooling just thinking about it.

But my time in purgatory is not quite through. We get paid bi-weekly. The woman who does payroll went on vacation. I won't get paid for the coaching stipend until March 24th! Ack! I put the bike on layaway, but I had to go down to the shop this week to drop off "Rosebud" for a tuneup and needed several paper towels to wipe up the drool. I've also gone hog-wild on eBay, purchasing some Nike Poggios, an 04 Bell Ghisallo helmet, bib shorts...

When March 24th gets here, there's going to be one happy 38 year-old little boy loose on the roads of Rhode Island on his newly-acquired leg-rocket. And this, after a winter spent in the cellar on rollers doing the "Tour De Cellar".

-OwMyNads

·
Registered
135 Posts
divve said:
I got the DA '05 crankset on order. A cool new feature is that it continues to spin while you wait at a stop light.
Yes, but does it have hydraulics and neon? And you need that crown thing on the front-center of your bars.

-OwMyNads

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Just finished building up for a friend...

GT Ti frame with all used 9 speed Shimano. He wanted an all around bike with a little of that messenger look. He rides every day, all year in all weather here north of Chicago. The stem will be switched out when he finds his position. The white tape is the cheapest I have and has to come off anyway for the stem swap.

TF

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Very nice ride, Coolhand! I've always held a fondness for Cannondales. My first mtn bike was a 'dale, and I purchased a CAAD5 1½ yrs ago when I returned to the roadie scene.

I'm waiting for my Mondonico Futura Leggero frame to arrive (should be any day now). There's a Chorus build kit waiting for it, with the exception of the new DA10 cranks/bb.

Good luck with it. I've heard those Si Hollowgram cranks are awesome!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts