Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early in January I finished a build project based on a NOS '03 Specialized Allez Pro frame. I built it with a Dura Ace 9 speed group, Ritchey WCS bars and stem, Thomson Elite 330mm seatpost, Fizik Arione saddle and a Korso wheelset. The bike came in at 17.37 pounds and it's been a real pleasure to ride.

Along the way, I decided that I wanted to get the bike in under 17 lbs. and moved ahead to do just that. I opted to replace the Thomson Elite seatpost with a Pedal Force carbon, the Fizik Arione with a Selle Italia Carbonio SLR and the Korso wheelset with a new custom wheelset based on DT Swiss R1.1 rims and American Classic Hubs.

I had the wheels built by Eric Gottesman of https://www.ergottwheels.com/. DT Swiss R1.1 rims, American Classic Hubs, 28 2X DT Revolutions up front, 32 spokes on the rear with 3X DT Competitions on the drive side and 2X DT Revolutions on the non-drive. Total weight 1466 grams! Not bad for wheels with that many spokes. This is the first wheelset built for me by Eric and the experience was a pleasure.

So this is how it went and what I saved.

Korso wheelset 1740 grams, AC/DT Swiss 1466 grams = 274 grams saved.
Thomson Elite 330mm seatpost, 240 grams, Pedal Force, 162 grams = 78 grams saved.
Fizik Arione, 249 grams, Selle Italia Carbonio, 154 grams = 95 grams saved.

Total weight saved = 447 grams / 15.96 ounces / .998 lbs. New weight of the Allez Pro = 16.37 lbs. This is now my lightest bike supplanting my 16.5 lb Ellsworth Flight.

Allez Pro "before" upgrades

DT Swiss/American Classic Wheelset

Pedal Force seatpost

Selle Italia Carbonio SLR

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Nice job!

blandin said:
Early in January I finished a build project based on a NOS '03 Specialized Allez Pro frame. I built it with a Dura Ace 9 speed group, Ritchey WCS bars and stem, Thomson Elite 330mm seatpost, Fizik Arione saddle and a Korso wheelset. The bike came in at 17.37 pounds and it's been a real pleasure to ride.

Along the way, I decided that I wanted to get the bike in under 17 lbs. and moved ahead to do just that. I opted to replace the Thomson Elite seatpost with a Pedal Force carbon, the Fizik Arione with a Selle Italia Carbonio SLR and the Korso wheelset with a new custom wheelset based on DT Swiss R1.1 rims and American Classic Hubs.

I had the wheels built by Eric Gottesman of https://www.ergottwheels.com/. DT Swiss R1.1 rims, American Classic Hubs, 28 2X DT Revolutions up front, 32 spokes on the rear with 3X DT Competitions on the drive side and 2X DT Revolutions on the non-drive. Total weight 1466 grams! Not bad for wheels with that many spokes. This is the first wheelset built for me by Eric and the experience was a pleasure.

So this is how it went and what I saved.

Korso wheelset 1740 grams, AC/DT Swiss 1466 grams = 274 grams saved.
Thomson Elite 330mm seatpost, 240 grams, Pedal Force, 162 grams = 78 grams saved.
Fizik Arione, 249 grams, Selle Italia Carbonio, 154 grams = 95 grams saved.

Total weight saved = 447 grams / 15.96 ounces / .998 lbs. New weight of the Allez Pro = 16.37 lbs. This is now my lightest bike supplanting my 16.5 lb Ellsworth Flight.

Allez Pro "before" upgrades

DT Swiss/American Classic Wheelset

Pedal Force seatpost

Selle Italia Carbonio SLR

Enjoy the fruits of your labor. How do the wheels ride?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Juan, I'm taking them out for their maiden voyage tomorrow and will let you know after I check them out. Thanks for all your help when I was in the planning stage on these wheels, your feedback was invaluable to me. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice job Blandin!!!! Let me know how you like the saddle. I would love to see it out on the American River Bike Trail. You'll remember me with the Lightspeed Tuscany.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed I do remember your amazing Tuscany but I don't think I'll ever get my Allez Pro to match your lightweight project. Haven't bumped into in a while, so maybe with the longer days we'll see each other before long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agreed...longer days will be so much nicer. I'm going out Sunday will start around 10:00am at Hazel and make my way to Discovery and back. I'll be looking for you. Your bike is truly a think of beauty. Enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts