Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I grabbed the single speed and hooked up the kid trailer I got as a father's day present. I grabbed the kiddo, straped his helmet on, loaded him up and hooked the whole rig up to the bike. The wife jumped on her bike and off we went for a quick lap of White Rock Lake, my usual riding ground.

We made it to the lake and started on a lap moving clockwise. My first reaction was DANG my kid is bigger than I thought, and where is this boat anchor I'm dragging behind me. Did I mention the wind was HOWLING out of the north? On the flats, I could definitely tell there was something back there, but nothing major. Every incline was another story. You better be prepped, or maybe just me, to do some low cadence grinding to make it up the hills. Well we made it around the lake and back home safely and the kiddo seemed to enjoy himself well enough. He was making all kinds of noise back there. I think he even fell asleep for a little while.

Total mileage = 15 miles. Total elapsed time = 1:01:15. Not bad for a leisurely Sunday evening ride with the family. All in all, I'd say it was the best 15 miles ever. Now if I can just get a little more strength in my legs, those "hills" won't seem so bad :D

I'm looking forward to the next one. Hopefully it won't be super hot this summer, so I can get him out after work once a week or so.

Sorry no pics. How could I have left the camera at home on this momentus occassion?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
ive taken my nephews on a few rides goin ss. you realize just how bad your pedal stroke is when you ride ss with a trailer. after a while it was much better, but still a good workout.

my son is now 10 months and we have taken him on a few quick loops. when he was 7mths we took him out a few times, but i didnt like his head bobbing like that.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You aren't kidding about the pedal stroke. The SS is slightly different position than my regular roadie, so I could really feel the difference. I could really tell the flex btwn my mtb shoes and my road shoes. I either need to upgrade my mtb shoes or get some Speedplays. My arches were not liking me at the end of the day.

All in all, I think it's going to be a major plus all the way around. Highly recommended!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.