Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Fractured vertebrae ?

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Zomg, good thing you're okay.

Make sure you send a hit squad to deal with that kid. The bad thing is if you sue, his parents are gonna bite it, and for all we know, it could have been just the stupid kid's judgement as opposed to the parent's bad parenting. Which is usually something people never consider before calling JG Wentworth.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
CleavesF said:
Zomg, good thing you're okay.

Make sure you send a hit squad to deal with that kid. The bad thing is if you sue, his parents are gonna bite it, and for all we know, it could have been just the stupid kid's judgement as opposed to the parent's bad parenting. Which is usually something people never consider before calling JG Wentworth.
As true as that may be, there are going to be considerable expenses to the OP even with the best of health insurance. It hardly seems that it was the OP's fault. I don't know about the rest of the world but I have ALWAYS carried an additional million in liability over and above any other insurance which would buffer the parents in a case like this. Having kids is a huge responsibility...and part of that is financial....if that means planning ahead for their "bad judgment", so be it...they should have adequate insurance to cover their A$$ets.

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that breadandwater. I was recently in an accident (slammed into a car door that opened in front of me) and my Italian stallion is no more as well. Not sure this makes you feel any better, but I feel your pain, both literally and... well, you get the picture.

· Blank Stare
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car insurance is whats covering me strangely enough, which is a huge relief because the bills are piling up.

It was a Bianchi San Jose which isnt too expensive but I absolutely adored the bike. I'm so thankful to be here its almost overwhelming. The police officer on the case is amazingly nice and also a cycling enthusiast, which is quite a blessing.

Injuries are compound fracture in my right leg, which now has a steel rod implanted permanently, compression fracture on the t8 vertebrae in my back, fractured right wrist, fractured left shoulder, broken nose, and broken teeth. NO head or chest injuries which is amazing, my helmet was barely scratched.

Mentally its pretty tough, i had been doing 30-40 miles on casual days and had lost about 30 lbs this summer. To lay here as my muscles wither away is maddening. i just keep in mind how lucky i am that im going to fully heal and be able to get up and out again. Much to my familys disapproval, i am already dreaming and talking about getting on a bike again.

Thank you for the support and advice, it means a lot

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
breadandwater said:
Car insurance is whats covering me strangely enough, which is a huge relief because the bills are piling up.

It was a Bianchi San Jose which isnt too expensive but I absolutely adored the bike. I'm so thankful to be here its almost overwhelming. The police officer on the case is amazingly nice and also a cycling enthusiast, which is quite a blessing.

Injuries are compound fracture in my right leg, which now has a steel rod implanted permanently, compression fracture on the t8 vertebrae in my back, fractured right wrist, fractured left shoulder, broken nose, and broken teeth. NO head or chest injuries which is amazing, my helmet was barely scratched.

Mentally its pretty tough, i had been doing 30-40 miles on casual days and had lost about 30 lbs this summer. To lay here as my muscles wither away is maddening. i just keep in mind how lucky i am that im going to fully heal and be able to get up and out again. Much to my familys disapproval, i am already dreaming and talking about getting on a bike again.

Thank you for the support and advice, it means a lot

Man....the bike is a non issue, don't you get it?......you made it!

get a new bike....what ever.......and go for it when you heal......................and LET IT HEAL.....................................

· Registered
83 Posts
Whew! Sounds like you are one lucky guy, perhaps you do not feel like it, but it sounds like you'll be back riding in a few months.

I too totaled an Italian Frame recently, check the post from July 4th: http://bikecentric.blogspot.com/

I tore a ligament in my thumb which has kept me off my bike for a month.

If I were you I would think about getting a lawyer. My car insurance only covers the 1st 25K of hospital bills. You must be due some tasty pain and suffering money...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.