Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Kona Jake the Snake 2008 finally came in and I've had it since yesterday. Since I haven't had a bike in 10 years it took me a few minutes to get used to one again. Not to mention I had a mountain bike before, so the difference in the handlebars was a change.

I could not believe how much more comfortable a decent bike is compared to what I used to have. When I got it yesterday, I must have ridden it for a couple hours at first (most of that time was getting used to it and the clipless pedals which I've never had before). Then i realized I had to go to work, so I took the risk and rode it to work too. Luckily I knew my manager would let me store it in a locked room in the back. Then since I got up this morning at about 5:30am I decided to take it for a spin. So today it started raining (not quite pouring, but it was a decent rain) and I decided to ride it home (because I'm dumb that way). It handled great. In fact, I was surprised how well it dealt with the flowing water and whatnot.

Anyhow, I guess I've put about 4 hours on it so far in the first two days. Nothing like you all, I'm sure, but I haven't had so much fun in a long time. My legs are a little tired (expected) and my butts a little sore (expected), but wow. Thanks everyone for the information and advice. This forum has been a great boon, even for someone just lurking around!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
dr.mediocre said:
Where are the pictures???:D
Yeah, one small problem with that, I don't have a "working" digital camera right now.

In any case it's this bike:
http://konaworld.com/08_jakethesnake_w.htm

I did have to bring it in once already, because the front handlebar brakes weren't tight enough and therefore were cutting into the tape. They fixed that and retaped the handlebars after two whole days of riding it. Ohh well, at least they got some donuts and apple cider (most of them don't drink) out of it.

All that's "added" per-se is a Light and Motion ARC Li-Ion light, one of those planetbike flashing lights and an underseat bag (with various stuff like an extra tube in it). I still need a water bottle/cage, a cyclocomputer and other various random stuff though. I think having water would extend my ride a tad. I would mention cycling shorts and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to wear those, not fit them on the bike. I have to wait on some things, since tomorrow I'll be even further over the hill - agewise that is.

I will say I'm glad I went with a CX though, I get to go through some of those woody trails along the way as well. Those pedals still haunt me a little though. More-so getting the feet in than out.

Two more hours in so far today, so fun! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.