Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute by bicyle to work everyday. I put the bike on the back of the car and drive the kids to daycare. I drop the kids off and then ride from wherever I was able to find a parking spot. At night I just do it all in reverse order.

The other night as I was loading the bike onto the back of the car a passing driver waiting at the light stuck his head out the window and asked:

"Is that a fixed?"
"Yes," I replied
"How much did you pay for that?", he asked.
"Altogether about 3500," I replied.
"You could have bought a car for that." he said.
I looked at him and said "My bike is a Ferrari, 3500 would buy me a used Hyundai."

He laughed and drove off.

Anyone else here feel this way?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I used to say that when my bikes were Italian. Now they mostly all American, and anyway, since I provide the motor, they're really just...bikes? But yes, I've generally spent more on bikes than cars.

How the heck do you spend $3,500 on a fixie?

edit--and you can buy some pretty cool cars for $3,500.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I used to say that when my bikes were Italian. Now they mostly all American, and anyway, since I provide the motor, they're really just...bikes? But yes, I've generally spent more on bikes than cars.

How the heck do you spend $3,500 on a fixie?

edit--and you can buy some pretty cool cars for $3,500.
You can get a custom Seven frame with track-ends and no derailleur hanger. That's a big wad of dough right there.

As for the cheap/cool cars - I once had a 1988 Mazda 626 Turbo that I bought for $600 that accelerated more quickly than the 2001 Honda Prelude that I currently drive. I don't know why I sold that car. It only had 90K on it and handled great, plus it was a 5-door hatchback which was so damn convenient. I hate my Prelude, only for the fact that I have to disassemble my bike in order to fit it in the trunk.

I need another hatchback or a sedan.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Hey, it's your money, but ain't the point of a fixie that it's cheap and simple? Mine, and most, I see around town, are some 80's road frame with semi-horizontal dropouts and a fixed-gear wheel tossed on. Or those poseur Pistas.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point of a fixie...

Argentius said:
Hey, it's your money, but ain't the point of a fixie that it's cheap and simple? Mine, and most, I see around town, are some 80's road frame with semi-horizontal dropouts and a fixed-gear wheel tossed on. Or those poseur Pistas.
Speaking as a retired 8 year messenger the point of a fixie never was to ride something that is cheap but simple. Rather it was to ride something that was simple.

My fixed has 4 things that can go wrong mechanically: flat tire, broken spoke, chain snap...you get the point.

The thing that happens to all former messengers is that as soon as we leave the game, we all go out and build the nicest fixed gear to ride. I will never messenger again but I have my fixed to remind me of what I used to want but couldnt afford then, but can have now.

That being said, my fixed is my exclusive ride now. I have 2 Meraks with Record 10 sitting in the basement gathering dust. Havent touched them in years. I have done 160 mile one day rides on my fixed and for people here in NYC, I have ridden to Bear Mountain and back on this thing. Why shouldnt I get the nicest fixed I can when I put as many miles as I do on this thing.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
"You could have bought a car for that." he said.

an alternative retort: "Not a car I would want."

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I've seen a messenger kid around town with a nice looking Sycip fixie. I've also seen him driving a new Honda Civic Si coupe with the Sycip on the bike rack. I guess he can afford these nice things on his messenger paycheck by cutting out luxuries like, say, a helmet.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I've seen a messenger kid around town with a nice looking Sycip fixie. I've also seen him driving a new Honda Civic Si coupe with the Sycip on the bike rack. I guess he can afford these nice things on his messenger paycheck by cutting out luxuries like, say, a helmet.
who knows what he is delivering to whom.

·
Registered
195 Posts
some people get caught up on the "simplicity" thing with fixed gear / track bikes. the whole point of a bike is having a machine you like to ride. some people like to ride 3000$+ record 10 austrian road bikes and some say "a bike is a bike, pedal it and it goes." same way, some people (like me) like my fixed gear to be as light and responsive as my racing bike.

p.s. ONESPEED: if you have some record 10 Meraks in the basement you might want to get rid of, private message me! not joking, my bike got stolen last fall and i need a new racing machine.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Just waiting for MB1 to discuss his $5K fixie. If you want to spend your money on a fixie that you ride all of the time and that is what you enjoy, you should do it. Last year I put over 7000 miles on my commuter and around 2000 on my race bike. I have less than $1000 invested in the commuter and around 4K in the race bike. I should have a much nicer commuter. Maybe a Litespeed or a carbon cross frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts