Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My BMC SLX01

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  patersg 
#1 ·
YEAH!!!

Its here my BMC SLX01 has arrived. Will take it in to the shop tomorrow to have them start working on it. Taking the handle bar and stem from my ORCA.

Hope to have it done sometime this week!!! All the parts are already at the shop!!!

Jim :D

#8 ·

Here is a preview of the bike, will have more pics later on next week when I am done upgrading it. Think about changing the wheels from EURUS to maybe reynolds DV46C and some other stuff I might be taking off my Orca. Thats my Blue 09 Orca in the back ground.

#10 ·
Handling is great, as most reviews say it is better for flats and downhills. I liked my Orca better for climbing, but I am weak so I think as I get better I will like this bike better. The only problem I had was with the new seat post takes a few times to get it to click and stay put.

#13 ·
I forgot the actual weight of it now, I can get it weighed on tuesday when my bike shop opens. I did change the bike out completely.
Currently running
2008 Campagnolo Record CT group
Stem: Stella Azzurra GPA 4.8
Bar: Stella Azzurra Tirreno
Wheels: Reynolds DV46C with Swiss Stop Pads
Tires: Conti Triathele 700C x 23 a little heavier but great tires.

Jim

#21 ·
Slx01

My only gripe so far is a creaking seatpost.
Tried the carbon-paste fix a couple times, but works only temporarily. Wrapped some electrical tape around the post where it meets the seat-tube - will see how that works tomorrow..
Haven't noticed any other defects otherwise.

#24 ·
SLX01 seatpost

I've given up on the carbon pastes - didn't do the trick. I then applied a synthetic grease on the carbon part of the post, ensuring the aluminum wedge at the bottom is kept dry. This seemed to do the trick, but requires reapplication every couple months. Make sure the interior of the seat tube is free of any greases before re-inserting the post.

Yes, this is contrary to recommendations concerning application of grease to carbon tubes, but I was so fed up with the bike sounding like a creaky ship that I'm doing it anyways. I'm going to monitor it closely over time to see if there's anything detrimental occurring. If so, it's back to drawing board.

I've also heard about using hairspray as a solution. Another possible solution is to wrap a super-thin brass foil around the post then re-insert. I'm not sure where to buy such a product, but it's something I'll consider if the grease start causing problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.