Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago there was a LBS that closed here in town. They had a NOS Bottecchia that I should have bought and have lusted after ever since. Last fall I was given a 1970’s Bottecchia that was in pretty bad shape. I decided to restore it and copy the paint job of the one that I let get away. I have two modern geared bikes and a 1975 Raleigh Super Course MK II. In the last year I have been riding a lot with my wife and daughter on the MUTs. I figured a single speed would be perfect for that. I’m not ready for a fixie.
My goal was to keep a retro classic look while adding some modern bling. I stripped the frame and had it re-chromed. I did a rattle can paint job and used the two part clear coat recommended by Dave Hickey. I had found restoration decals on E Bay. About the time I went to order them, the seller closed his store for a month. I found another set and bought them only for the head tube badge. While waiting for the E Bay decals to come back up, I got the idea to do decals in chrome lettering. The local sign shop matched the font almost perfectly and made me some chrome vinyl ones. I did use the world champ and Italian national stripes from the decal set I bought.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to convert to 700C wheels so I would have plenty of tire choice. It took a while to find breaks with enough reach. Dia-Comp 750’s did the job. I used what few old Campy parts that I had and the rest are new. The crank is a FSA Gimondi. It has that retro Campy look at a whole lot less money than an actual Campy track crank.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I'm not real sure I'm wild about the white tires after I got them on. The tires are 700 x 28 CST. I think CST stands for Chinese S#!t Tire. They were cheap.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crossracer said:
That looks great. How much did the chrome treatment cost you? And how did you strip the frame?

Details, it came out beautiful.

Bill
I stripped it with a liquid paint stripper I bought @ Home Depot. The re-chroming was $200.00. I was a little shocked. It's been a long time since I had anything chromed.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
chrome

Chrome is nice. I've got two "classic" frames with lots of chrome, and not only does it look nice but it doesn't chip like paint. It's actually very functional for chain stays and forks.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
Bob Jackson photo

tarwheel2 said:
Chrome is nice. I've got two "classic" frames with lots of chrome, and not only does it look nice but it doesn't chip like paint. It's actually very functional for chain stays and forks.
Tarwheel2- I was cruising at Flickr and saw some Bob Kackson photos, I believe you had a few put up, they look great. The orange one with white letters was superb

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.