Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember being able to lock up my front brake from the tops, and now the only way i can do this is from the drops where I have a lot more leverage
The rims are clean
Brakes are 2005 10-speed ultegras
iLink cables and housing (i'm not sure they're distributed in the states, if you don't know them, think nokon), recently installed, properly maintained.
Ksyrium SLs, clean braking surface
Koolstop mixed compound pads, definately not worn yet.

Am i missing something? or is my memory just misleading me and whenever i've done nose-wheelies was from the drops?
Please help! i'm riding a lot in the city (Madrid... mad drivers, stoned bus-drivers and cabs from hell...) and i'd like to have as much braking power as possible.
cheers!

·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clean as in bust-my-ass-off-with-that-stupid-mavic-rubber-stone-thingy-clean. Its amazing how well the stone works for the first 20 seconds, and what a pain it becomes after that. but at least it leaves the rims a-blazing...
i'll try teh scotch-brite and degreaser (kerosene perhaps?) to see if its any easier/helps at all.
cheers!

·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the front pads seem to be okay, which are the ones that i'm concerned about. On the other hand, the rear pads seem to have blackened salmon parts... i'll try hitting those with a file or some sandpaper. i'll give the front ones a pass too while i'm at it

·
793 Posts
Kaboom said:
i'll try teh scotch-brite and degreaser (kerosene perhaps?) to see if its any easier/helps at all.
cheers!
Skip the kerosene. Denatured Alcohol (think Isopropyl without all the water in it) works really well.

Electric motor cleaner or contact cleaner and brake cleaner sprays work REALLY well, but are just nasty to work with and have a tendency to melt plastic, and aren't so good for paint, + the fumes are nasty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Being able to endo doesn't mean you have powerful brakes, it means you are in the wrong position on the bike when you brake.

My guess is that your brakes have lost next to no power, you have become better at handling that braking power.

·
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL yeah maybe all those miles ARE having an effect on my quads and my calves after all...
Yesterday i cleaned my rims (mavic stone thingy, i'm out of scotchbrite), centered and adjusted the calipers and gave the pads a VERY light touch of dremel with a sandpaper bit to make sure there's fresh rubber in contact with the braking surface, and i'll see how it goes.
While i was at it i also fitted new tires (the pro-grips were starting to show the fabric underneath in some spots), cleaned and re-lubed the drivetrain, dialed in the derailers, cleaned the frame with the whole "warm water and mild soap" thingy, re-positioned the shifters so that i'm in a more comfortable position and swapped the speedplay zeros for some 30-buck shimano mountain SPDs, which i find are a lot more convenient for the city, even though when i have those on i SORELY miss my Adidas' carbon soled stiffness.
I'll see how it goes and report to you guys. If i was faster than ever on a dirty, worn-out bike today i might just break the land speed record!
thanks a lot for the ideas and the feedback!
cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.