Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I get home from the grocery store. Luckily sometimes it's fairly elastic and springs most of the way back. Tomatoes are an issue, also. I use a faily large messenger bag for transport. I would prefer not installing racks (on and off hassle, difficult to accomodate multiple stops on my trip without leaving goods with the bike), or purchasing a BOB (parking and locking / cost). Any tips for packing/protecting? My groceries need your help.

·
Endure26
175 Posts
Get one of the rectangular Rubbermaid containers and slip it inside your messenger bag (take the bag with you for test fitting when you shop for the box). Doesn't have to be one made for bread - but should be big enough for a loaf and other crushables. They make enough different sizes you should be able to max out the room in your bag.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
For a short trip, just carry it.

I'm about two miles from the market and usually wrap the top of the bread bag around the handle bar and hold it there for the ride home. For less than a mile, teeth will hold it nicely.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
there's always sprouted grain bread. Most of that stuff is more sturdy than cardboard.

joe

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
RocketDog said:
Any tips for packing/protecting? My groceries need your help.
I find packing to be pretty critical to getting the groceries home in one piece. Boxes and hard goods go at the bottom closest to your back. Hard groceries and cans go at the bottom furthest away from your back. Squishy stuff (bread and tomatoes, for example) all go on top. If you close the flap lightly, your bread should make it home OK. If you are simply carrying too much, sometimes you just can't get around a little squish, though. All this packing keeps weight low, and gives a nice broad surface against your back, too... no cans poking you in the spine (ouch!).

I hope your bread fares OK.

-Damon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.