Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first and oldest brother, Karl Weeg, was a member of the TWBC (Tacoma Wheelmen Bike Club)... On 3/11/2006 he died of a fatal heart attack while on a ride. He was doing what he loved to do...I can't think of a better way to go.

Are any of you members of the TWBC?
Did any of you know my brother?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but if any of you are TWBC members or knew Karl, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks! Greg Weeg

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Club has a Web site, http://www.twbc.org/

You might be able to run something down there. Sorry about your loss. I only see my brother ever four or five years (he lives out of the country), but it's sort of comforting to know he's out there, making big bucks, lying on the beach, working 10 hours a week....

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,416 Posts
It happens. Sometimes the rider is in so-so shape, sometimes the rider is in great shape. Everyone who rides thinks that they will live forever. Sometimes "forever" is tomorrow.
Do it now, before you can't.....Enter that race.....Ride that Century.......Do something crazy.....Live life..... How many people say.."I wish that I did that while I was able".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greg,

Sorry about your brother, here is what is posted at TheNewsTribune.com:
Karl J. Weeg
July 13, 1950 - March 11, 2006 Suddenly rode his bicycle into heaven. Survived by wife Eileen, mother Bernadine Weeg, son and daughter-in-law to be Geoffrey and Claire Yuckert, son Christopher, and “adopted” son Patrick Campbell, brothers, sisters, and their spouses Matthew, Bernard and Trina, Mark, Martha and Gayle Schreier, Gregory and Kris, Michael, Anne and Glen Lystne, and numerous nieces and nephews. A lover of life, music, bicycling, crossword puzzles, and chess will be greatly missed by family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Mass in Celebration of his Life will take place Saturday, March 18, 2006 at noon at Holy Disciples Catholic Church on South Hill. Reception at the church will immediately follow the service. Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to the American Heart Association.
Pub Date: 3/16/2006

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your brother.

I too had heart attack while riding last Halloween. Single vessel disease. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 155lbs. I have a wife and two young kids. Makes you think and become very grateful. I'm back on the bike now. I really cherish each, day, ride, and opportunity I have.

Hope you work through your loss. Again, very sorry.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I, too, am very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dad, my best friend, 2 and a half years ago now to a heart arrythmia that was unknown and undiagnosed. Totally out of the blue. Healtjhy otherwise, totally. I miss him everyday, but the pain subsides. It took me a year to feel like a human again. During that time, I kept on riding, sometimes I would tear up during a ride, sometimes out of sadness, but sometimes out of happiness to be doing what I was doing.

I still feel him with me when I ride up those big climbs around my house. When I go to the place that he and my mother used to live it, I can sense him there. I see him sitting on the front porch, watching the sun go down, after a tough day at work. I see him running, the thing he loved to do.

I moved back to his town one week to the day, before he died. While it's regrettable in many ways that I moved my family back to this place, I don't regret being the person that held him as we waited for emergency help to arrive, and he passed from this life to the next, whatever that is.

God bless you friend.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
681 Posts
sorry

I can not imagine being without my sister. I hope time will help you with the loss of your brother.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I just moved to Tacoma, and don't ride with TWBC myself, but, like everyone else, I'd like to first of all express my sympathies for the loss, and also to say your sentiment "He was doing what he loved to do...I can't think of a better way to go," is touching. While from a 23-year old's position it may seem a little weak, I can't think of a way I'd rather spend my last hours, either. Best wishes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts