Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here was the auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350073838470&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:AU:1123

Here was what he got... note obvious crack in hub flange. Anyone packing the wheels or taking a cassette off would see the obvious crack.
View attachment 132405

Here is what my friend said...
My record wheels arrived advertised as new... and the rear hub has a crack right through a spoke hole - i contacted the seller and he said that it was fine as he had stated 'used' in the description and he was riding like they were and it was fine... so i have had to raise a complaint on paypal for reimbursment.

The seller just emailed my friend and said since he escalated the problem to paypal he will let paypal resolve and not help. Painful hey as all the seller needed to do was offer a resolution as he sold a useless, and poorly described, and perhaps deadly wheel....

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a bad one hey. He sent me two other pictures that show the crack clear from both sides of the flange. The fact the seller simply wouldn't say - my mistake and work a refund is beyond me.

I have never had a bad item shipped on ebay but have won items where the seller has said after that they were worry they couldn't find the item. This was twice with the same seller and both times my win was a great buy IMO.

I have had plenty of good trades on ebay with great people. But now and then a scammer comes along. My friend said to me that with 200 trades he had to get ripped eventualy. Pity he had to feel that way hey.

Lets hope paypal refunds and stings the scam seller...

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another view of how obvious the crack is....
View attachment 132408

My buddy just told me the seller told him he will just let paypal resolve it as he is unhappy my friend complained.

Seller's ebay id is....

Bojangles

This is how he sold the wheels....
HI, FOR AUCTION IS A SET OF CAMPAGNOLO RECORD RACE WHEELS. AS YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE IN EXCELLENT NEAR NEW CONDITION. THEY CONSIST OF CAMPAGNOLO RECORD 9/10 SPEED HUBS WITH AS NEW MAVIC OPEN PRO RIMS. HARDLY A MARK ON THE BRAKING SURFACE. 32 SPOKE FRONT AND BACK. 700 CLINCHERS. BOMB-PROOF. DEAD STRAIGHT AND TRUE. TOP SHELF RACE OR TRAINING WHEELS IN EXCELLENT AS NEW CONDITION, THEY DON'T COME MUCH BETTER, GOOD BIDDING.

Note how he says excellent, near new, they don't come much better.... And this guy won't refund without getting paypal involved. Buyer beware....

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I have purchased two bad wheelsets on Ebay--- one had cracked rims at the spoke holes (some old Ascents or something like that) and the other had bent rims (Rolf Prima Elans). Both sellers took them back--- I was out shipping costs.

On the other hand, I have purchase three excellent wheelsets on ebay as well, as well as an excellent rim.

· Registered
84 Posts
I bought a zipp 404 rim off of eBay, from a member of this board. (Freddy Viera smokey26_02), crack on both sides of a spoke hole, ignored emails, Paypal was of no help ( as usual). Seems like ever wheel set selling on eBay has one of the following descriptions...
1. VERY few miles on it
2. only used for a couple of races
3. used for barely one season
4. barely 1000 mils on them
5. straight and true, like new (translates into "suitable for mounting on a horse-drawn buggy)

· Registered
35 Posts
Your timing of this thread is unbelievable. I've been following the sale of a set of Rolf Prima Elan RS that ends today. Now after reading your postings I'm not sure if I should bid or buy new from the LBS. I never had an issue with anything purchased over ebay but don't want to start with a $500 set of wheels.

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Careful who you deal with

I sold a pair of Rolf wheels on eBay, one of the hubs had a crack in it, and I honestly did not notice it. The buyer spotted it and showed me that the crack was actually visible in the photo on the auction listing, so it hadn't happened after the sale. I told him I'd give him a full refund, or he could have the wheel repaired and I'd refund the cost of the repair (which is what we did).

I guess the bottom line is, check the feedback of the seller before you buy anything expensive. I use eBay all the time as both buyer and seller, and rarely have any problems.

· Registered
329 Posts
Agree

Dave_Stohler said:
FWIW, I would never pay more than 1/2 of the true value for any used wheelset off EBay. They are NEVER as good as the seller says.

Caveat emptor.

ANYTHING I buy on Ebay is thought of as a total loss until it shows up and I discover otherwise. Used parts are always a risky venture. I like to look at stuff but unless it is vintage, I try and never buy used because I can not afford it! (yup, that is what I meant to type).

If the seller says, "I beat this thing like a rented mule and now I am trying to dump it on the highest bidder", he/she *might* be telling the truth. (I once listed an item with that in the description).

No offense to reputable sellers intended. There are just too many hacks muddying the water for you, and my life is too short to deal with dangerous junk during my "passion" time.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
coldass said:
Here was the auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350073838470&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:AU:1123

Here was what he got... note obvious crack in hub flange. Anyone packing the wheels or taking a cassette off would see the obvious crack.
View attachment 132405

My record wheels arrived advertised as new... and the rear hub has a crack right through a spoke hole - i contacted the seller and he said that it was fine as he had stated 'used' in the description and he was riding like they were and it was fine... so i have had to raise a complaint on paypal for reimbursment.

The seller just emailed my friend and said since he escalated the problem to paypal he will let paypal resolve and not help. Painful hey as all the seller needed to do was offer a resolution as he sold a useless, and poorly described, and perhaps deadly wheel....
If you click on the eBay link and go to the top picture (right one) you can actual see the crack on the flange....
I'm surprised to hear that Paypal wasn't very helpful though.
A similar thing happened to me and Paypal put a hold on a payment to the seller until the issue was resolved.

Hope you friend will get some positive results.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
The problem is some people are stupid. The OP's seller is one of those stupid people who doesn't seem to understand that negative feedback is the kiss if death. I won't buy from someone who has had more than a couple of negative marks per hundred transactions. Most sellers are typically very responsive until you post feedback. Once feedback is posted, all bets are off though. I learned this the hard way. I bought a Colnago that was described as excellent, and while the frame was, it needed a new left shifter (serious crash damage that effected shifting,) a new headset, and a new bottom bracket (which was frozen into the frame!) I was so excited about how beautiful the frame was I didn't look for the other things and fired off a glowing feedback.
On the other hand as a seller, I just sold a Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur that was as far as I know, in near perfect condition. The guy got it for $30 (one third the cost of a new one) So yesterday I get an email saying it had a bent pulley jockey, and the guy is pissed.
This thing came off my bike, and I never had a problem with it, it was never crashed, dropped, and looked near brand new. So I emailed him back and told him to return it for a refund and I'd pay for the return shipping since he felt I'd tried to rip him off.
His response was: "Naw, I got it working, and don't want to deal with it." Was he trying to scam me into giving him a partial refund to fix the RD? He'd already gotten it for a song, and I wasn't going to give him the $16 for a new jockey when I was pretty sure it was flawless when it left. I wanted it back.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I had good luck with paypal on an ebay dispute. The seller was pissed and left me negative feedback after she was forced to refund, but paypal forced the return of 100% of my money including shipping. The only thing I lost out on was what I spent to ship the crap back. It was a lesson learned. I'm now very picky about what sellers I buy from. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

· Registered
242 Posts
I sold a fsa crankset with a ti bb a few years ago for $130 and the guy who bought it emailed me that I had written 53 tooth chainring when it was actually a 52. he wanted me to refund 110 dollars and he would just keep the "junky BB" I think he just wanted to get the ti bb for next to nothing. I told him to send it all back for a full refund and he quickly stated that he would just find something to put the bad crank on...

What I don't get is why someone would try and pull something like that. What kind of person would essentially try and rob someone else?

· Registered
49 Posts
My record wheels arrived advertised as new... and the rear hub has a crack right through a spoke hole - i contacted the seller and he said that it was fine as he had stated 'used' in the description and he was riding like they were and it was fine... t.
l....[/QUOTE]

He rode it and was fine....ya right what an honest lad:mad:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.