Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fizik Arione wing flex seat currently, it's been on about a week and my butt bones are screaming for a new seat. Can you guy's suggest a seat that is still small and light weight while at the same time being very very comfy, maybe with some gel. Thanks! By the way I am a male so I need the space in the middle. My current seat doesn't have one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It is what I currently ride and I like it, the carbon provides enough flex and the majority of padding is in your shorts anyway, you just have to make sure you have high quality shorts/bibs as they will make a big difference with any saddle. Having said that though I'm a lightweight at 160lbs so I don't know how the Toupe would work for you.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
There's no telling wheter this will work for you, saddles are notoriously difficult to shop for and sometimes softer is worse. Remember cut-outs are cool until it starts raining and you get a very wet chamois indeed. My recommondation would be to try some of the models that have been around forever rather than spiffing new fashionable ones, there's a reason some things stick around. Finding the right saddle is more or less a process of trial and error until you find the it, when you do, hold on to it for dear life.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I had thetoupe and hated it. I bought it cause it looked cool and I thought I would save some weight as well. I only had it on my bike for 3 rides and could not stand it. Not enough padding for my sit bones and I'm not a small boy. I went back to my trusty heavy comfy selle italia gel flow flite.. I learned a good lesson, comfort beats style and weight weenieism any day...

·
Registered
339 Posts
As Rogger said, saddles are very much a personal taste and what works for one person probably won't work for another. I can sit comfortably on my Toupe riding over rough terrain like cobblestones without any problems but that isn't to say everyone else will feel the same way.

I simply suggested the Toupe as that is what I use and like.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Museum of Zero Tolerance said:
Move out of West Hollywood. Come down from Brokeback Mountain, Midnight Cowboy.
I knew it was you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
colnagofreak said:
I have a Fizik Arione wing flex seat currently, it's been on about a week and my butt bones are screaming for a new seat. Can you guy's suggest a seat that is still small and light weight while at the same time being very very comfy, maybe with some gel. Thanks! By the way I am a male so I need the space in the middle. My current seat doesn't have one.
Don't throw the Arione away.... I will give you $20 for it.... :D

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I refuse to use that saddle on account of its advertising.

Have you seen it?

It features the saddle tilted at a 45' angle, shot to appear phallic, and says "So you can raise more than your arms after the race."

I can't look at them without thinking about its resemblance to genetalia any more...

·
What the Hell is going on
5,873 Posts
Shop around

I second the "shop around" approach to finding the perfect saddle. For me it's Selle San Marco Regal. I like a wide saddle to match my fat ass. Anyway, I picked one up a few years ago for 5 bucks at a velo swap meet. At the time I thought "what the Hell. If I don't like it I only spent 5 bucks".

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
my quick reviews. i'm 200lbs and generally need a wide flat saddle.

specilaized alias, more padding than a toupe but still plenty stiff and flat. Currently on 2 of my bikes. i've done century rides on these.

E3 performance saddle, similar to Alias but slightly smaller, better for riders with little drop between saddle and handlebars, still testing.

Selle italia gel form trans am Max. wider than the standard flite with a cutout, good general saddle with suspension wings on the rails to add some shock absorbation. i have one as a spare.

Selle italia prolink similar in width to the spec alias but with more curves. i couldn't get the saddle tilt just right, either the back was flat and the nose got in the way or the nose was flat but the back made slide forward.

selle italia slr xp, very light saddle 135mm wide but it had a bump that seem to hit in me the wrong place. sold it after 2 weeks of riding.

Fizik aliante sport, cheaper than the aliante but has the same shape and little of base flex, this saddle works like the san marcos Regal, better when your spinning a higher cadence. still tweaking.

·
Banned
657 Posts
Argentius said:
I refuse to use that saddle on account of its advertising.

Have you seen it?

It features the saddle tilted at a 45' angle, shot to appear phallic, and says "So you can raise more than your arms after the race."

I can't look at them without thinking about its resemblance to genetalia any more...
I checked his link but saw nothing that you describe. Are you going to start on the Soloflex Poster I have hanging in the car room? Personally I like Selle Italia, San Marco stuff. The Bontrager sadle that came on my Madone is also quite nice.

·
Banned
608 Posts
colnagofreak said:
Can you guy's suggest a seat that is still small and light weight while at the same time being very very comfy, maybe with some gel.
Why the heck are you concerned with the weight of your saddle? Find one that is comfortable and forget about how much it weighs or what it looks like.

Personally, I like the San Marco Regal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can get a SDG Bel Air saddle with CrMo or Ti rails, titanium rails cost £50 = $80. It is a very good fit. You can get an ST version for super tough, which you might need.

Also you can get a special seatpost, known as the I-beam seatpost. It allows for maximum adjustability and comes in aluminium for £40 and carbon fibre for £100, I chose alu.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.