Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd start a new thread for my CAAD9 build and post pictures/thoughts as parts start rolling in and the build process begins. Here is a list of all the parts I have ordered so far (as of 27 Mar 2009):

Frameset: 2009 CAAD9 w/ BB30 bottom bracket, 54cm, Lightning White
Fork: Ritchey Pro UD Carbon Road, 45mm rake (same as stock Cannondale fork)
Crankset: used Cannondale Hollowgram Si SL BB30 crankset, 39/53, hybrid ceramic bearings
Wheels: Neuvation M28SL
Groupset: 2009 SRAM Rival
Seatpost: FSA K-Force Lite
Pedals: Look Keo Sprint (Not sure if I'll use the Red or Grey pedals on this build)
Tires: Continental GP 4-Season
Tubes: Forte Ultra Light
Rim Tape: Cloth Velox - 16mm
Handlebars: FSA K-Wing Carbon, 44cm
Seatpost Clamp: Salsa Lip-Lock, 32.0mm, Red
Skewers: Salsa Flip-Offs, Steel/Titanium, Red
Bottle Cages: D4-style CF (eBay)

Things I have yet to order / decide on...

Handlebar Tape: Considering SRAM Supercork, Fizik Microtex, Specialized S-Wrap
Stem: Temporarily, whatever Specialized Comp fits- As I improve flexibility and settle into an angle/size, I'll probably go for an FSA OS-115 or OS-99 CSI stem
Saddle: Specialized Toupe, 155mm - I just have to figure out which color scheme (along with handlebar tape and hoods)

Questions, comments, criticisms - all are welcome here :)

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Parts currently in my possession :)

Crankset - the only thing missing is the two circlips, and I've already ordered them. The total weight of everything (minus 2 circlips) was 590g:


Fork - my LBS gave me this one because of the bad information we kept receiving from their Cannondale rep at the beginning of the process (last month). I don't know if they are eating the loss or Cannondale is - I imagine (and sincerely hope) Cannondale. Total weight - 338g uncut:


Seatpost. Weight - 207g:


Skewers. Weight - 84g/pair:


Tubes/Rim Tape - I actually had these laying around, and I'm not sure how much they weigh yet ;) :


I'll keep posting pics as things arrive :)

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose I should have posted a few disclaimers first!

1) I ordered the frameset on March 13th, so be patient! Probably won't be here for at least another month :(

2) I ordered the Rival component package (or at least, my LBS did from QVP) on the 21st of March - apparently the Rear Derailleur is on backorder so HOPEFULLY the components will be here by the time the frame arrives from Cannondale :(

3) The Neuvations should be here around the middle of next week, but the tires are coming from the UK, so they may or may not take a little longer. The handlebars and pedals are coming from the UK as well. They just kind of show up whenever :wink:

4) I guess to hold people over, I can share my exciting shoes with everyone?? They're super comfy, and nice and light (and stiff) :D I'm coming from using Specialized Comp MTB shoes with Shimano M-520 pedals on my Synapse - I finally decided to risk walking like a duck for the sake of increased performance and comfort :)



Someone is going to have to be patient while the rest of the parts slowly roll in, and that someone certainly won't be me!
 

·
extremely biased
Joined
·
870 Posts
I know what the cranks weigh but it still shocks me when I see it in print :lol:.

With those cranks you, effectively, have roughly an 1000-1050 gram frame in a "module" form. Since the frame weight is about 1200-1260 ish depending on size and the cranks are 150 to almost 200 grams lighter than a comparable quality crank that is non BB30.

Putting anything Specialized on there would be an "oil and water" scenario................ :lol:

Pics man :)

I have a bunch of these in stock but it's always nice to see them with personal touches.

Starnut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STARNUT said:
I know what the cranks weigh but it still shocks me when I see it in print :lol:.

With those cranks you, effectively, have roughly an 1000-1050 gram frame in a "module" form. Since the frame weight is about 1200-1260 ish depending on size and the cranks are 150 to almost 200 grams lighter than a comparable quality crank that is non BB30.

Putting anything Specialized on there would be an "oil and water" scenario................ :lol:

Pics man :)

I have a bunch of these in stock but it's always nice to see them with personal touches.

Starnut
I'm still a little cheesed that they don't offer the "bbq" paint scheme anymore with the BB30 CAAD framesets. Black bikes just don't go out of style, IMHO. I, personally, just don't like the jet black with red lettering - looks kind of tacky to me. So I've got to go with the white frame with red lettering - and once it all gets assembled, I'm pretty sure that almost all of the reds will be just a shade or two off of the next. The Salsa skewers and seatpost clamp will obviously match, but then there's the red lettering on the frame, the red on the FSA seatpost and handlebars (and someday the stem), etc.

My shop is decidedly Specialized-biased. If they had it their way, every part would be Specialized. They tried to talk me into the Armadillo tires, the bar tape, the tubes, etc... And their "fit experts" are all specialized-trained, so it's not too surprising. As I'm not quite ready for the super-aggressive riding position, I'll start with a shorter stem, greater angle until my flexibility improves. And if you can't wait, I DO already have a functioning bicycle ;) And hopefully you'll notice that all of the colors match (and that was NOT hard to accomplish):

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The_Boy said:
They do, you just have to live in the DC metro area to get one.
WTF? Seriously?? Oh man that cheeses me even more! I'll have to make do with the Lightning White - I'm sure I'll decide after the fact that I like it more than the bbq ;) (that's the hope anyway)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
My shop is decidedly Specialized-biased. If they had it their way, every part would be Specialized. They tried to talk me into the Armadillo tires, the bar tape, the tubes, etc... And their "fit experts" are all specialized-trained, so it's not too surprising. As I'm not quite ready for the super-aggressive riding position, I'll start with a shorter stem, greater angle until my flexibility improves. And if you can't wait, I DO already have a functioning bicycle ;) And hopefully you'll notice that all of the colors match (and that was NOT hard to accomplish):
Yo homie, gotta point out that Tory rocks a Scalpel (Have you seen it? He set it up with a 2x10 Sram drivetrain - it's bananas) and a Cannondale cross bike while Ryan is planning on getting a Taurine. They're not too far biased towards the big S.

I gotta admit that I've cross-dressed my Six13 a bit. Specialized handlebar padding and S-Works bar on the bike. S-Works helmet and shoes (you may want to see if the blue foot beds work better than the stock red ones for you) for myself. Some of their accessories are just damn good.

... But I definitely said hell-no-thank-you to the suggestion of an S-Works crank. I rock a black Si SL all the way.

I'm lovin' your project, by the way. I just finished up a CAAD9 Cross w/ 09 Rival and my old FSA-made carbon BB30 crankset on it, purchased from Old Town. You'll love your new ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moon said:
Yo homie, gotta point out that Tory rocks a Scalpel (Have you seen it? He set it up with a 2x10 Sram drivetrain - it's bananas) and a Cannondale cross bike while Ryan is planning on getting a Taurine. They're not too far biased towards the big S.

I gotta admit that I've cross-dressed my Six13 a bit. Specialized handlebar padding and S-Works bar on the bike. S-Works helmet and shoes (you may want to see if the blue foot beds work better than the stock red ones for you) for myself. Some of their accessories are just damn good.

... But I definitely said hell-no-thank-you to the suggestion of an S-Works crank. I rock a black Si SL all the way.

I'm lovin' your project, by the way. I just finished up a CAAD9 Cross w/ 09 Rival and my old FSA-made carbon BB30 crankset on it, purchased from Old Town. You'll love your new ride.
I haven't seen what Tory rides but I do know that Ryan commutes to work on his Cannondale cross bike :) He's also dreaming of basically what I'm building, so he'll be putting the bike together (I'm the guinea pig) - it should be a fun project. I'm also hoping I'll learn a thing or two from him :) He admits that Sam is much better than he is (might have to make him supervise) ;)

I do like a lot of the specialized stuff, particularly the fit stuff - the shoes are comfy, the bib shorts (although super expensive, at least in my opinion), are fantastic, the saddle is great, and I have the Super Bar Phat tape on my Synapse as well. The guy I train with rides an Allez.

Ryan actually talked me into the SWorks crank after he told me how much the Si SL was - I canceled the order and went the eBay route on a gently used C-dale crank - basically the same price (that and I don't have to wait until May/June for the cranks to arrive!).

They're great at Old Town. Only the basic biases I've noticed (although I'm pretty certain you'll find those at every shop). They won't even sell Conti tires for some reason... Who knows, but I love them - love the GP4000 and I'm putting the GP 4 season on this build.

I don't know how I'm going to make it over a month waiting for the frameset! ;) I guess that gives me time to figure out what beers I'll bringing to the shop when it's time to put it together! :)

-Chris
 

·
It's just a nickname
Joined
·
61 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
WTF? Seriously?? Oh man that cheeses me even more! I'll have to make do with the Lightning White - I'm sure I'll decide after the fact that I like it more than the bbq ;) (that's the hope anyway)

Conte's in VA/MD ordered complete BB30 CAAD9 bikes through the team program in the matte black finish. I built up one of the frames, as seen here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The_Boy said:
Conte's in VA/MD ordered complete BB30 CAAD9 bikes through the team program in the matte black finish. I built up one of the frames, as seen here
That's exactly what I wanted :( I seriously had my LBS talk to their Cannondale rep and ask them to do the paint that way - I mean they were doing it a couple months ago. My LBS said they wouldn't do it, without exception. I even told them I'd give Cannondale another 100 bucks. Not a bite. Grrrr. What happened to the customer is always right? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
STARNUT said:
nope

Starnut
You're a tease!! You're going to make me wait at least another month to see my frame?? Is there some way to visually tell a frame is BB30? You can at least let me that, right? :)
 
1 - 20 of 171 Posts
Top