Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the first bike I've ever built up entirely. I've commuted in four states, making various different bikes "work" through multiple modifications. I've had plenty of miles to think about what the perfect commuter would be, and here it is. This bike will both front and rear racks put on in a few days....

Highlights include a mail order Soma Double-Cross frame, IRD stem, Nitto Noodle handlebar, custom spacers and ID top cap from www.purelycustom, a $99 105 50/39 crankset from Jenson, a 12/27 cassette with triple rear derailler, salvaged seatpost from my crashed LeMond, 28mm reflective tires, my first set of cantilever brakes, double-wrapped bar tops from hood to stem, Performance cheap steel cages, salvaged seat from an old Trek, Memorial day sale Open Pro wheels from Performance for $210.

This bike will be ridden to work, softball practice, swim practice, and on the train. It will not be babied. By the time I'm done with this bike I hope it looks like the pickup that Fred Sanford drove in Sanford and Son.

Many thanks to all of you for helping me order parts these last eight weeks.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That's actually a pretty bike. Knowing me, I'd be babying it rather than letting it go 1972 Ford Truck route. I like pretty bikes :).

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
105 is really nice looking stuff. If shimaNo didn't suck and campy rule, I would really consider using 105 on a commuter. Ok, I use campy on my commuter because it was best of the old parts I had laying around when I built it up.

Nice bike, beat the hell out of it.

· Bike Dude
993 Posts
Great looking build. I had an orange Soma DoubleCross with black components (sort of a halloween bike) , I had to sell her due to downsizing. Great commuting bike! Like Bill sez, beat the hell out of her, she can take it.

· Registered
298 Posts
I love the detail on this one.

· Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tektro brakes;

They're fine. 35's are difficult to remove so I'll probably stick with 32's.

Of course you should see the bike now with all it's *crap* hanging on it. I'm not sure which looks better; naked or hung. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.