Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is: Looking to but a new frame this summer. I have three options in my price range. An all aluminum rig (Airplane), an aluminum (Zonal) with carbon stays and an all carbon rig (bonded frame). Recommendations? Pros-Cons?

I no longer race, and most of my rides are slightly under two hours with a long ride on weekends.

Unfortunately, test rides are out of the question since I am currently working out of the country and their aren’t any bike shops available.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Not enough information

Material of construction is not much of an issue. The brands and models of the bikes you're considering, your weight and your planned riding types are all FAR more important than what the bike is made of.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
BlueMasi1 said:
Here it is: Looking to but a new frame this summer. I have three options in my price range. An all aluminum rig (Airplane), an aluminum (Zonal) with carbon stays and an all carbon rig (bonded frame). Recommendations? Pros-Cons?

I no longer race, and most of my rides are slightly under two hours with a long ride on weekends.

Unfortunately, test rides are out of the question since I am currently working out of the country and their aren’t any bike shops available.

Thanks for the advice.
I wouldn't get too hung up on material, though IME aluminum and carbon fiber frames do tend to feel different with aluminum giving more road feel, while carbon f. tends to deaden road vibration. Nothing to do with stiffness, which is a different issue coming from design and tubes. Try riding an example of each material before you commit.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Whatever feels good.

I suspect that upper end frame makers, regardless of what material they are working with, can't make a living let alone a reputation by marketing unfit merchandise. In other words, I don't think that you can screw this project up.

What just sounds sexiest to you subjectively? Get that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.