Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week or two ago some folks here helped me ID an old Univega road bike I bought at a garage sale for $20. I decided to convert it to a single speed. I bought a cheap new aluminum rear wheel (the old one was bent and probably would have been a PITA to convert) and 16T BMX freewheel at the LBS, and had the LBS dish the wheel for proper sprocket alignment.

One problem I had was fitting a modern 130mm hub in an old frame with 124mm spacing. I used the allthread-nuts trick to spread the stays to about 127mm, and then the LBS played with some spacers on the axle to make it fit. They also installed a new chain. Total bill at the LBS was about $75.

Meanwhile I liberally applied Never-Dull, rubbing compound, and elbow grease to the various parts and components. The old clip-style pedals were disgusting rusty lumps, so I installed some platform pedals that my son bought my for Christmas. I may upgrade to some clipless/platform pedals later.

I finished assembly last night. Here is what it looked like before:

And after:

It is still a work in progress. My next step will be to replace the front ring with a single-ring. Unfortunately with the rings that are on there now only the smaller (38T) ring cam be unbolted. I don't think I'd enjoy trying to pedal this thing around with a 16T rear/52T front arrangement. Also, I think the bike will look better with solid-black tires. But for now I'm still under $100 total investment, and it's rideable. Woot!

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Nice job.

You turned something bad into something quite nice to look at. How about a ride report on it next. You may find that you do want a new saddle after putting in a few miles.

Very good. Thanks for sharing.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks!

I have only ridden it briefly on some around-town errands so far, maybe 10 miles total. Even in that short time I have to agree the saddle is not comfortable. But, I was unwilling to break that $100 mark in the first two weeks :D

I know absolutely nothing about street bike saddles. I will probably just comb the LBS take-off bins until I find something cheap and nice looking.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Very, very nice. And I think that saddle is a lovely example of a well-designed medieval torture device. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to replace it. (But if you do, find a nice, old leather saddle to swap).

- FBB

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Keep the gumwalls. Looks more "retro" and period correct. I had a Gitane w/ a saddle very much like that. Wasn't the worst....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts