Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for the most part $$$$ = low weight, but all the cross bikes in my price range ($1000-ish new) weigh 21 to 22 pounds. Even the $700 used Poprad is 22 pounds. I figured it'd weigh 19; obviously I'm 'cross clueless.

Is this the normal weight of 'cross bikes from $900 to $1200?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If you are shopping used, look at the Cannondale or an older Specialized if you can still find one in decent shape. The lower priced new bikes do tend to be heavy. If you can find a nice used bike that wasn't used for its intended purpose, it might be a good buy.

·
Registered
635 Posts
bikewriter said:
I know for the most part $$$$ = low weight, but all the cross bikes in my price range ($1000-ish new) weigh 21 to 22 pounds. Even the $700 used Poprad is 22 pounds. I figured it'd weigh 19; obviously I'm 'cross clueless.

Is this the normal weight of 'cross bikes from $900 to $1200?
Check out Jeremy's website for great advice on shedding weight. I can tell you the stock Enemy comes in at a portly 22.5 (Large, 55-57cm w/ pedals) however, a change of wheels, fork, stem & saddle will get you in the teens. I think REI says the fork is carbon/alum but the steer tube is actually cromo & quite heavy. The wheels are a bit tanky too. I know you would be out of your price range if you were to upgrade a few components but you could always use a second set of wheels. The other parts you might just have to live with a while but the option is there. My opinion, wheels wheels wheels!!! oh, tires too. :)

DP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.