Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am getting back into cycling after alot of years off the bike I am really regretting the sell of a Custom Bike that Carl Strong built for me. It was a Reynolds 853 tubing bike with Full campy Record 10speed Carbon... It was by far the best bike I have ever owned. I am not a racer just your average rider. I have owned many different bikes through the years, Trek's, Specialized and now I am on a Scott CR1 that is on the chopping block so I can have Carl build me another Custom. This bike looks funky as some will say but for me it was the perfect ride. I love my Scott, it is an absolute dream bike for me but at 6'5 it's just a little to race oriented for my style of riding. Would love to find the guy I sold this bike to about 8 years ago. But don't think that will ever happen. Here it is....

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kiwisimon said:
Well, Carl will have the blueprints on record, early Xmas present?
I have been in contact with Carl. He is the one who sent me the photo. I did not have one anywhere. He still has my order information and I am planning on having another one built if and when I sell my Scott.... He said he would still need to measure me up though because things on me have changed over the past 10 years.. lol... It won't be cheap but it will be worth it. I might try some SRAM Red on a new one. Mix it up a little. I have never used SRAM before but here it's good stuff.

· Registered
120 Posts
Excellent choice.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in the queue for a titanium stage race road frame from Carl. It will be the only bike I own that I didn't build. For what that's worth.

I have met Carl on multiple occasions. I've sat in his shop and talked about topics ranging from our shared desire to own a rotary screw compressor to the lack of good mountain bike trails in Bozeman. He is a class act in every sense of the word.

These things matter.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
HMBAtrail said:
Reasonable people are free to disagree on this but I often try and steer folks considering Red toward Force and then spend the extra dough on better wheels and tires.

I am a big fan of SRAM.
Agreed. Mixing and matching different components across the SRAM line can save your weight in some key areas, not have you gain too much weight in others, and allow you to spend less and have similar/the same functionality as Red. I run Red shifters and cassette with old Rival everywhere else and doubt I'd be able to tell the difference if I "upgraded" the rest of the parts to Red.

· Registered
4,639 Posts
After having read Lennard Zinn's article on frames for tall riders on the VeloNews web site, I'd seriously suggest you consider getting custom cranks for your new bike, and see if Carl will build the bike around the cranks. From the article, I gather that when tall riders are fit to properly sized frames, the quality of the ride, because of the fit, is remarkable.

Lennard Zinn's take on frames for tall riders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.