Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went half'ers with my road buddy on a 4lb can of cytomax. The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me. I sort of tastes like super intense original bubble yum. Is there something I can mix it with to make it a little tastier? add powder kool aid or some lemon? What other cytomax flavors taste better? Thanks

· Registered
65 Posts
I think it taste halfway decent...

· smell my finger
1,076 Posts
cytomax

I just recently purchase the can 1/2 that size and got the citrus flavor. It's really smooth and very digestable. I usually water down gatorade or juice drinks because of the sweetness. I mix 1 1/2 scoops for a normal water bottle and it works fine.

· Registered
902 Posts
The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me.
Have you tried using half as much Cytomax mix with water? Wife and I have used Cytomax for 5+ years and I will admit that over time it has lost its zing so now we add some Sobe No Fear Sugar Free (fruit punch flavored) to the mix. We have a 2 Quart pitcher of water in the refrigerator and when it comes time to make bottles for rides, we add about ~6-8 oz.s of Sobe to each of the four 24 oz. water bottles then mix the Cytomax at about 1-1.5 scoops of Cytomax per ~64-70 ounces of water, shake well and then pour into the bottles to top them off.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
El Caballito said:
I recently went half'ers with my road buddy on a 4lb can of cytomax. The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me. I sort of tastes like super intense original bubble yum. Is there something I can mix it with to make it a little tastier? add powder kool aid or some lemon? What other cytomax flavors taste better? Thanks
I'm not sure if they have quality control issues?

The grape I have - if I mixed it at 2 scoops per 24 ozs, it'll give me stomach issues.

Peachy Keen and Apple Berry
are the best.

Tropical Fruit was weak for me. feels like i need 3 scoops. (looks like plain sugar in the container)
Tangy Orange - ok..but not as good as peachy keen.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I only use about 2/3 the suggested mixture intensity because like you I
can't stand the syrupy sweetness. Back off the mixture a little and it
should taste fine. Of course the manufacturer wants you to use a lot,
but on hot days a more diluted mixture actually hydrates me better with
less unpleasant side affects.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I miss Apple flavor. The citrus, green colored is ok, sort of a weak version of originial Gatorade. +1 on the cramps though; it actually seems to cause cramps in a strange way b/c I can ride harder for a couple hours than I can w/o cytomax, then when cramp time comes it hits hard. So I mix in some electrolyte powder, been working ok so far.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
lablover said:
I just recently purchase the can 1/2 that size and got the citrus flavor. It's really smooth and very digestable. I usually water down gatorade or juice drinks because of the sweetness. I mix 1 1/2 scoops for a normal water bottle and it works fine.
+1 on the citrus

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks one and all, I used 1 1/2 scoop in my 24 oz bottle, add it was also 100+ degrees. I guess if hot water tastes bad, hot cytomax is super nasty! When I got home, I had another 24oz only with ice cold water and squeezed a 1/4 of a lemon. I did taste better, but I have to admit my personal preference is for something a little more on the sour side. I think next time I'll buy citrus or maybe try Pomegranate Berry.

· Registered
304 Posts
stunzeed said:
which cytomax is recommended for cycling
I personally love the Pomegranate Berry and the Citrus flavors. I actually find that without breakfast or gels, a 24oz bottle of Cytomax can keep me going for a little over an hour of medium intensity cycling, without feeling drained. I might give Pink Lemonade a try.

· Registered
473 Posts
I've tried pink lemonade and am now using Tropical fruit. The tropical fruit is pretty good.

I've drank cytomax the morning after a heavy night of drinking when theres no Gatorade to help rehydrate me. Seems to work good for that too.

· Registered
304 Posts
david462 said:
I've tried pink lemonade and am now using Tropical fruit. The tropical fruit is pretty good.

I've drank cytomax the morning after a heavy night of drinking when theres no Gatorade to help rehydrate me. Seems to work good for that too.
:thumbsup: I sometimes take an 8oz serving of cytomax for every 4 beers, and I'm good in the morning. Sure it's extra calories, but those mornings are the days I ride my bike to the pool (about 11 miles), swim, and ride back. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.