Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's 12 and ever since I started giving her allowance, she's been a saver like nobody's business. She's been saying for a couple of months that for her birthday in January, she wants a new bike. Her current bike fits her well and she has two others in the garage that are a bit small for her, but she wants another---a single-speed beach cruiser kind of thing. Last week she asks if we can go to the LBS this weekend to look at new bikes and if it would be all right for her to spend her allowance on a new bike so she won't have to wait five months for her birthday (she gets $10 a week and she's got $550 saved up).

We went to two bike shops and she liked the bike she saw at the first one. Trigger pulled. Bike ordered (Giant Simple, in a pearl-white and blue paint job). Daughter happy. I sprang for the new helmet. :thumbsup: :D :23:

I have hope for the future of humanity.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
il sogno said:
Tell her Treks are good bikes.
I tried :blush2: but she was not impressed with the lineup at the Trek dealer.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I approve of this thread:thumbsup:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Tres cool man.....tres cool....

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I mowed lawns and saved up for an entire summer to buy a PK Ripper once. Someone stole it after 4 weeks. Tell her to work hard a couple more weeks and add a good lock to the purchase :p
With a daughter like that, I'd buy it for her and and a bunch of other accessories to boot.

Nice post, it renews my faith :D

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
that is an awesome story

love that Fredke because she's frugal and wants a bike
win-win
ful of win
at breakfast yesterday my daughter (7) said 'dad I want a track bike'
I almost cried
better get her saving

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You pull the "aw, you know what? Keep your saved money" move? Because (if I could) I think I would've - being pleased with the fact she shares the same interest/passion, and apparently has a good sense of perseverance. When I was younger, I'd totally crack on spending when I hit the $100 mark...well actually, I still do that.

Of course. her birthday present would then be nothing more than a jar of peanut butter.

GJ, because you're partly responsible for her saving so well as an parental influence - in one way or another. Now brag at class and family reunions.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
atpjunkie said:
love that Fredke because she's frugal and wants a bike
win-win
ful of win
at breakfast yesterday my daughter (7) said 'dad I want a Trek bike'
I almost cried
better get her saving
FIFY....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts