Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was losing a lot in translation between getting my measurements, getting fitted, and addressing how I wanted the bike to ride. Ultimately I called over and drove up to Boston to get it done right. Joe gave me a tour of the factory, showed me how they were going to make the magic happen, measured me up and then came the best part. We sat by his computer and tweeked the frame together. I have to say nothing beats that part of it. Not just making sure it fits you, but making it ride like you want. And he knows his stuff. All the adjustments occured in real time. Got to see on the computer the bike take shape. Add a longer head tube, more slope on the top tube, bigger tubes on the main triangle. Talked about trail and some other concepts that can be tough to appreciate.
If you are going to get a custom bike, this is what makes it worth it. Spending a couple grand on a Steel frame just doesn't make sense without that part taking place.
Word of warning; Ti prices are skyrocketing. Joe tells me they are spending three times as much on their dropouts and tube sets. CF is the same deal. Their steel frames are going to be coming up as well. Apparently that is another joy of the war in Iraq, the military wants their Ti and CF too.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Zoikz

You may get a lot of comments on your IF. I do. I just bought an old (probably 10 years old cross IF) from a friend of mine. I was at a race this weekend and one of the kids riding for their factory team was oogling my bike. It was funny. They build great stuff.

I'd say what Henry said too, take the time to go custom. It's the last bike you'll buy for many years. Might as well enjoy it. The extra $$ pays for itself.

My next road bike is going to be a custom Ti from Ted Wojcik up here in NH. I just have to find a way to justify it!

BT

·
Registered
438 Posts
eyebob said:
You may get a lot of comments on your IF. I do. I just bought an old (probably 10 years old cross IF) from a friend of mine. I was at a race this weekend and one of the kids riding for their factory team was oogling my bike. It was funny. They build great stuff.

I'd say what Henry said too, take the time to go custom. It's the last bike you'll buy for many years. Might as well enjoy it. The extra $$ pays for itself.

My next road bike is going to be a custom Ti from Ted Wojcik up here in NH. I just have to find a way to justify it!

BT
i didnt know ted was welding ti. why not just get steel?

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
I didn't know you could go directly to the IF shop for a bike. Most of the big custom builders, like Seven, require you to go through a dealer. That's a good service they offer. I could sit there all day and tweak that frame with them. I love that kind of stuff. They'd probably tell me "enough with the questions, go home already!" and sling my arse out so they could actually build the bike!

I'm constantly drooling over classic lugged steel frames.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
The IF bikes that I've seen lately looked truly excellent. The fit and finish shine. The ability to be fitted and have the bike spec'd up directly by the builder takes a huge risk out of the equation. Good on IF and, good for you.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
almost forgot

actually got it three weeks before scheduled delivery. these days it is running a single ring up front, better brakes and some Tufo tires. but it is really an amazing bike. I can pull an inside corner better than half the time in cross races. really telepathic ride. don't think that IF makes a habit out of doing the fitting themselves, but I kept feeling like I was losing a lot by not addressing them directly. In fact I don't think I would do a custom frame if I could not personally deal with the builder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.