Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bemoaning the loss of my dream bike: a 2009 Trek 2.1 which was magnificent on my sole test ride of it. I've moved on, and am now looking for a replacement.

Here are the canddates:

1. Trek 2.3 2009 or 2010. The '09 is cheaper, but somewhat unattractive paint job; the '10 is nicer looking.

2. Bianchi Brava: a funky Shimano 2300 gruppo (8spd), but under $1K

3. Bianchi Imola: nicer spec; cool blue color.

I'm looking for lower gearing: the Bianchi's have a 30X25 lowest gear; the Treks have a 34X27 lowest gear. Therefore, the Bianchi's have slightly lower gearing but the Trek seems close enough despite only being a double.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a bike $1500 or under, with relatively low gearing for hills.

· The Cube
1,201 Posts
forget how they look! you can't see it while you're riding it. furthermore, cyclists look absolutely ridiculous, even to other cyclists, so how the bike looks means nothing.

if you don't like the gruppo, then saving money on it won't make it worthwhile.

if the 09, and the bianchi feel the same/good for you, go for the better components.

· Registered
591 Posts
Have you called around to other trek dealers to find a New Old Stock 2009 2.1? If you liked the bike that much, get on the Trek site, do a dealer search, and start calling them. Bonus - If you can find a NOS 2.1 in your size, you will probably be able to talk them into a discount.

You know you want the bike, so get to it! sooner you find one, sooner you can start riding.

On the gearing - I would not worry about it. 34X27 is already really low. yea, 30x25 is a hare lower, but it is really only about one tooth diffrence (34x27 is almost equal to 30x24)and if you get the 2.1 and feel like you really need more gear, a 34x28 would be lower - Dosen't SRAM make a 12-28 casette? Throw one of those on your 2.1, and you have the lower gears than the 30x25, and still be riding your dream bike.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I had to find both of my Treks by using Yahoo or Google. Most trek dealers have software that makes checking their inventory easy. Also, most have a clearance section.

Then have your Trek dealer get it for you. I paid the first dealer's price plus shipping (at Trek's low interstore rate).

Start here, for example: http://bikeline.com/articles/road-and-tri-bike-closeouts-pg59.htm

Editorial note: If your dealer calls Trek corporate for assistance in finding a bike for you, he'll get very little help. Trek won't (cannot ???) do what you can do with Goggle. All they claim to know is which bikes were sent to which dealer (2 years ago). Apparently, their warranty records are not connected to their sales records. We need some college student to write a program that links the two so a bike sold to a dealer but not registered for warranty can be identified as "probably" still in the dealer's inventory. Snap, you could find the '09 2.1 that you want. N. B. Detroit figured out how to do this years ago.

YouHoo, anybody from Trek reading this?

· Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
I know not everyone will share my opinion on this but I am a "Huge" fan of buying a used bike. You can get a bike with a couple thousand miles on it that has been very well taken care of and you will get a "WAY" better bike than what you will buy in a bike shop. You can get a full Dura ace bike for a good deal used easy. My bike I bought was 3 years old, full Carbon Scott CR1, Full Dura ace for a great deal of half of what it cost new.. The guy also threw in 2 extra wheelsets, a set of Kreitler Rollers, shoes, helmet, tools and a bag of other stuff. The bike new alone would have been over $5k new.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Get the Imola. And pay no attention to the who cares what color it is. I IS important. I know, maybe it sounds stupid but aesthetics matter. Would you buy an ugly tie even if was made from the finest silk? How about a new car that was painted hot pink? How many pairs of custom tailored, 100% wool lime green pants do you have?

Uh huh. Didn't think so. Buy a color you like. You won't regret it.

· Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be test riding not one but BOTH bianchi's this weekend. As well as a '10 Trek 2.1.

I've actually test ridden the 2.1 '10 already, but at a bike shop with a floor salesperson so clueless, he spent twenty minutes going to their storage facility to try to find it. It was actually directly above his head when I first asked! Needless to say, the setup of the bike was less than spectacular.

So off to a true bike shop I go, in search of my next steed....

· Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could snap my fingers and fall in love with a 2.3 2009. After all, it's the same geometry (I assume) plus superior componentry. And the lbs has it in my size. But the black and red just don't do it for me! Maybe if I take a look at it in person, and eat chocolate at the same time...

The imola has the same blue/white paint scheme as the 2.1 '09. Coincidence perhaps? Hmmm

Mr. Versatile said:
Get the Imola. And pay no attention to the who cares what color it is. I IS important. I know, maybe it sounds stupid but aesthetics matter. Would you buy an ugly tie even if was made from the finest silk? How about a new car that was painted hot pink? How many pairs of custom tailored, 100% wool lime green pants do you have?

Uh huh. Didn't think so. Buy a color you like. You won't regret it.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I have an '08 Trek 2.3. It is a wonderful bike. The '09 also has the carbon seat stays but the mixed group (which works VERY well, BTW). You should be able to drive a hard bargain for a 2 year-old bike, especially if it's a floor model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.