Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 speed front Dura Ace shifter crapped out over the weekend.

I've been looking for a reason to upgrade my drivetrain, and this might just be it.

I'm looking at either replacing the shifters with more 9 speed parts or going to SRAM for the drivetrain, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I was considering Red levers, Rival or Force rear derailleur and some 10 speed cassette and chain.

Pros of going to SRAM:
Double Tap operation - I like the way it feels
Ergonomics - I love how those hoods feel
Brand new parts - self explanitory

Cons of going to SRAM:
I like my flightdeck computer (which would go bye bye even if I upgraded to shimano 10)
Cheaper to replace shifter(s) than buy a new SRAM drivetrain
Unsure of durability with SRAM components (the LBS doesn't really like them durability wise.)

What would YOU folks do?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Dude... wait out for new DA so you can grab 7800 cheap. At least that's what i would do.

SRAM, personally, I'd wait a couple more generations... I do question their durability. After the recalls, the broken derailleurs... I'll wait and stick with Shimano.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You could buy a front Tiagra shifter to tide you over.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
You could buy a front Tiagra shifter to tide you over.
I have a spare front Tiagra that I've installed to hold me, but it just doesn't shift that well.

I'm kind of torn with replacing the 9 speed stuff with new 9 speed or going to SRAM. I'm really not interested in going with Shimano 10 speed stuff (I don't like the 10 speed hood shapes at all, they really don't fit my hands well) since I know there will be an extra cost in replacing the flight deck computer (might as well if it's compatible.)

Points taken though. Always something to think about.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Make the leap.

Red shifters
Force derailleurs
Ultegra chain and cassette

to me, that is the best compromise of $$, weight, and performance. and it's what I run on my bike.

durability concerns are based on assumptions, in my opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd go to SRAM Red...or Campy Record/Chorus. Step away from Shimano...

I've seen too many Shimano shifters bite it...most were less than a year old. I've have Campy Record since '01 with NO problems! I also have SRAM XO on my mtn bike...no issues there either. GREAT STUFF!

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like my best choice here is Red shifters with a Force derailleur and ultegra cassette.

Is the trim and zero loss on the Red shifters really worth the extra coin?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Akirasho said:
... don't know the extent of your DA's craptitude, but did U try flushing out the innards with Tri Flo (or similar lube)?

If it's a mechanical and not crash related, this might bring it back to life.
Tried that. No go.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Chris Keller said:
.... I've seen too many Shimano shifters bite it...most were less than a year old. ...
My Shimano 105 front STI shifter jammed after 3 months, and it's not user (or bike shop) repairable. After 9 days in shop , they still hadn't received replacement STI lever from Shimano, even though Shimano USA headquarters (Irvine, CA) is just 40 miles away. Finally, shop took a new shifter off another inventory bike to get me going.

From Shimano's drawings, specs, and other web info, it seemed to me there is essentially no design difference among 105, Ultegra, and Dura-ace STI levers. Just some different material choices and cosmetic differences, but the underlying mechanism seemed identical ... correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
plenty of 9 spd dura ace components on ebay, find one on the cheap and beat the hell out of the remaining life of your drive train. save your money in the meantime, and by the time you're done with with that, it'll probably be time for a new bike-then decide SRAM or Shimano. I have both-my Felt F3c is full Force, shifts impeccably, but only has about 300 miles, so durability is still a question mark. The rest of my road bikes are all Dura Ace 10 spd or Ultegra 10 spd. Ultegra shifts smoother than DA in my opinion, but hey, that's just my two coppers, so take with a grain of salt. The biggest reason for me to use DA is weight savings and theoretically durability over Ultegra. I prefer the larger Shimano shifters since I ride the hoods the majority of the time, but I prefer the precise shifting of the SRAM Force. SRAM Red should be even better and lighter from everything I've read about it. Again, just my two cents, take with a grain of salt or two. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.