• Accept it; go for the full Elton John

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a drag it is getting old.

I spend 37 hours a day looking at this computer screen. Seems like there's never enough task lighting when I'm working on the bike. The kids will come show me schoolwork and I have to grab their arm and move it 3 feet from my face.

Please help, won't you?

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
Right there with you buddy and
First!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Creakyknees said:

I spend 37 hours a day looking at this computer screen. Seems like there's never enough task lighting when I'm working on the bike. The kids will come show me schoolwork and I have to grab their arm and move it 3 feet from my face.

Please help, won't you?
Nothing but nothing has pissed me off more continuously than this.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
old farts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Karma's a B.

I remember my mom being amazed at how little task lighting I needed while reading or writing when I was younger. "Pfft! Old people..." I thought. I've noticed I need to turn the range hood light on a lot more often while cooking these days. *sigh*

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Yep me too. The boy handed me a Hot Wheels car the other day and said "What's this one called?"

After moving under a light and holding it precisely 3'2" from my face, I was able to read the name. This sucks. I am turning into my dad.

·
What the what???
12,710 Posts
I voted for the 3rd World option...I suggest sponsoring the kid first...do the 10 cents/day thing for a few weeks...then your conscience is clear when it's time to get your "return" on your investment... :)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Creakyknees said:

Please help, won't you?
HTFU

The prescription for my eyeglasses is so extreme that when I need new glasses the opticians scratch their heads trying to figure out how to fill it. My contacts' prescription is geared towards what I need to read the computer. That means that I have reading glasses for things like newprint and small print directions and a pair of long-distance glasses for driving that I wear over my contacts. I now have to visit the opthamologist every six months because of various risk factors that I have. I'm just happy that I have not had to buy a white cane. At least not yet.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
My heart freakin' bleeds for you. Presbyopia happens, dude. Reading glasses, multifocals, whatever, just deal with it. I'm nearsighted, been wearing specs for 48 years. The last 10 years, it's been progressive multifocals for the near-and-far syndrome. I'm thankful the technology is perfected and affordable.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
CdaleNut said:
why isnt there an option for Lasik ??
I had lasik and this doesn't fix in ability to see close. Last I heard, they had not perfected this technique yet.

Getting old ahas effected my ability to see close.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
CdaleNut said:
why isnt there an option for Lasik ??
Lasik won't work for old age eye problems. It fixes problems with your cornea shape, basically tweaking the lens of your eye . The farsightedness of age is basically your muscles not being as flexible or strong so you can't focus as well. I had 20/12 vision after lasik but I was told I'd still need reading glasses when I got older. 10 years later and he's right..

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I got bifocals. It sux.
Wait.

Then you can tell me how much it sucks when even bifocals don't cut it, and you need computer glasses :( :mad2:

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
I think I've decided my childhood obsession of reading until the wee hours of the morn, and trying to hide it from my parents by using almost no light is the reason I now have to wear contacts.....

Just get the 1 dollar cheapo's from walgreens.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I think I must not be old yet, because I've never heard the phrase "task lighting" used so many times.

I have needed glasses for distance reading since middle school, but refused to wear them regularly until I was 22. I really should have picked up the habit sooner...

I do have some red-green deficiencies ("color-blindness,") but I will take that, over my mother's ridiculous bifocals. At least these days, they can make them significantly smaller and thinner than the coke-bottles they used to be.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I also suffer from "short arm syndrome"...ah well things could be much much worse.
I use bifocals for reading and over the past several years my long distance seeing is less than what it was.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep

me too.

I have an appointment on 10-21 to see an opthalmologist about reading glasses....

This getting old thing is teh suxxor.

Mines more intermittent now. Sometimes, no problems at all, and other times, I'm reading a journal and holding farther away from my noodle.

Joy, oh joy, oh joy...

Ah well, at least my prostate isn't making me pee 10 times a night YET.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts