Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the thread a couple of days ago about house rehabbing, there was discussion of the joys of authentic Arts and Crafts homes and the horribleness (is that a word?) of faux Craftsman.

Having built a custom faux Craftsman here in Denver, I kept my mouth shut, but heck my faux Craftsman ain't no faux pas. I sweated bullets over as much detail as I could, and although certain aspects stray from authenticity, this baby was inspired by the pages of American Bungalow. Some details I drew on a piece of paper and gave to the builder.

I'd love to have bought a real old one, but many of the Craftsman bungalows in Denver are too small for my taste. Sad but true. I wanted the "look" but with modern space and amenities. So I slaved over a custom new home for two years. It was a VERY gratifying process.

The equity from this baby will be funding my next adventure! Hope you like...

http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/Default.aspx?ID=238218&refurl=Realtor.com&resize=true&?_MLSNAME=denver&_MLSID=328833&poe=realtor


Attention Stalkers! Even though this shows my address, I've already moved out.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
kpcw said:
Gorgeous.

Maybe edjit your address, Teh J's and I Heart Riding will be there tomorrow morning for Happy Hour (they don't wait till 5pm like most etc).

Gorgeous house.
I think she said it was sold...

// Point to remember about Colorado if you go that route--we have the Make My Day law here. Look it up, but it's roughly the same sentiment as the movie where the quote came from. :eek:
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bocephus Jones II said:
I think she said it was sold...

// Point to remember about Colorado if you go that route--we have the Make My Day law here. Look it up, but it's roughly the same sentiment as the movie where the quote came from. :eek:

Yup, sold. I was just lucky enough that my link still works despite that the house is no longer in MLS or on realtor.com etc. And I know from negotiations that the buyer has a temper so beware! :)
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
Damn

That was a typo. Your house rocks hard.

Fillipino food is terrbile. Have I mentioned that? The worst cuisine on earth.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
I like it.......

that is a great house....very livable.

But that price is crazy..........at least relative to where I live.

Glad you were able to sell it......that will buy a lot of house in Arkansas!

Len
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
that is a great house....very livable.

But that price is crazy..........at least relative to where I live.

Glad you were able to sell it......that will buy a lot of house in Arkansas!

Len
It's a 4000+ sq foot house in Glendale (I think) which is a fairly desirable area to live in. You'd pay a million five or more easy for that size house anywhere in Boulder. Ours is 2600 sq feet and it cost us nearly 500k--value keeps going up.
 

·
Collin's Dad
Joined
·
1,858 Posts
Um...if you don't mind not living in the historic district of your new town, have you considered building or buying a house on Beaver Lake? Not sure how much you're looking/wanting to spend on the new place, but the summer's here are a tad hotter / more humid than CO. You could get a super sweet house and buy a dock and have it moved to where ever you wanted. I understand if that's not the type of lifestyle setup you are wanting, appeals to me and just wanted to mention it.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,208 Posts
Well I like it! Very nice, with character and modern comforts.

Of course for that asking price here you can get, just for example, a mansion (3 story georgian, 7000 sq feet) built by a lumber baron around 1900 near the river, with a rental duplex on the grounds, and still have $200k left over when you are done.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
dr hoo said:
Well I like it! Very nice, with character and modern comforts.

Of course for that asking price here you can get, just for example, a mansion (3 story georgian, 7000 sq feet) built by a lumber baron around 1900 near the river, with a rental duplex on the grounds, and still have $200k left over when you are done.
I coudn't afford to maintain, heat, or cool that big of a house.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,208 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I coudn't afford to maintain, heat, or cool that big of a house.
Few could. Heck, I don't know how I would fill the rooms!

For 500k you can get:

A multiple use property including resturant bar, campground, seasonal trailer park, private pay boat landing and residence. Plus 3 bed rental cabin. All on 1100ft. shorefront on a lake. Main house built in 1960 has 3600sq ft, plus a basement of 1000 sq ft.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Len J said:
that is a great house....very livable.

But that price is crazy..........at least relative to where I live.

Glad you were able to sell it......that will buy a lot of house in Arkansas!

Len
correction: that will buy alot of houseS in arkansas. :)
like, all at the SAME TIME. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
dr hoo said:
Few could. Heck, I don't know how I would fill the rooms!

For 500k you can get:

A multiple use property including resturant bar, campground, seasonal trailer park, private pay boat landing and residence. Plus 3 bed rental cabin. All on 1100ft. shorefront on a lake. Main house built in 1960 has 3600sq ft, plus a basement of 1000 sq ft.
You could buy my whole town for that price.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Len J said:
that is a great house....very livable.

But that price is crazy..........at least relative to where I live.

Glad you were able to sell it......that will buy a lot of house in Arkansas!

Len

Yep. House prices in Denver are just INSANE. Truly insane. You can get a 900 sq. foot cracker box for about $300k, but for anything with any size or character at all within City limits it is just nuts.

The good news is that we were able to put good $$ down from the sale of two previous Denver houses... its the ratchet cumulative effect. Though as BoJo notes, Boulder is even worse.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phil, Beaver Lake isn't out of the question, but I'm really tempted by the "in town hip" of Markham hill and the Historic District but I can absolutely see the appeal of livin' on the water. Nothing set in stone yet!

But I refuse to live on a street called "Beav-O-Rama" which I saw in a listing. I mean, a girl's gotta have some dignity!
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
jtolleson said:
Phil, Beaver Lake isn't out of the question, but I'm really tempted by the "in town hip" of Markham hill and the Historic District but I can absolutely see the appeal of livin' on the water. Nothing set in stone yet!

But I refuse to live on a street called "Beav-O-Rama" which I saw in a listing. I mean, a girl's gotta have some dignity!
i'm pretty sure we played in a club called that oncet. ;)
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i'm pretty sure we played in a club called that oncet. ;)
played with what? :eek:
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
well everybody think happy thoughts

cause if all works out I'm gonna have the house they'll remove me from in a box. My wife and I are trying to sneak in on the Marquis Historical Home in a marquis Historical neighborhood. A Japanese Pagoda Style 2 Story Craftsman. so freakin yummy it'll make ya cry. I appreciate everyones compliments on my present home, she's quite nice as well, but this, ohhhh man,makes it look like a booger.

wish us luck.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
cause if all works out I'm gonna have the house they'll remove me from in a box. My wife and I are trying to sneak in on the Marquis Historical Home in a marquis Historical neighborhood. A Japanese Pagoda Style 2 Story Craftsman. so freakin yummy it'll make ya cry. I appreciate everyones compliments on my present home, she's quite nice as well, but this, ohhhh man,makes it look like a booger.

wish us luck.
bestest of luck, post pics and updates!!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top