Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings-

Here are pix of my favorite ride...my Klein! A mix of components, but they've worked well together for years.

-Quantum frame in "very fast red", and guaranteed for life
-Sealed bottom bracket (spimdle sized for Shimano)
-Campy 8spd indexed downtube levers
-Campy 8spd rear derailleur
-Shimano 600 front derailleur
-Suntour Supurbe brakes (Campy clones)
-Shimano 600 cranks
-Look Keo pedals
-Bar: Giro d'Italia
-Tektro brake levers (Campy clones)
-Body geometry saddle
-Campy hubs front and rear
-Mavic MA40 rims, 32 hole

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am currently lusting after a QP in sunset orange on my local CL

Awesome Bike

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I love Kleins! Especially the full Aluminum ones. I still like the carbon stay/Al main frames too but the all Al like yours are magical. I had a 2000 Quantum Race in white cloud. One of my favorite paint schemes ever. I also like the Sunburst Orange A LOT!! I also like the Green A LOT!!! I also like the Plum A LOT!!! I also like Storm scheme A LOT!!! I don't think there is a Klein paintscheme that I don't like A LOT!!! :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I love Kleins too. I sadly sold most of mine (and some were stolen in 2005). Right now, I have a Chehalis-built Quantum Race. My wife rides an Aura X. I didn't like the carbon-reared frames so much, although I lust after the 2005 Quantum XV's green paint job (Electric Lime).

My favorite Klein paint jobs are the blue-green linear fades such as gator fade:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When did Gary Klein stop building Kleins?

Didn't Trek or Schwinn buy Klein bikes, and Gary continued to build for a while? I thought the real Klein frames stoped being built around 15-20 years.

I purchased mine as a frame and fork with sealed bottom bracked installed. I would think mine is worth at least $5000 as it sits right now. What do you all think?:confused:

The decals on the top tube (where the Quantum logo was) are new and designed by me using the logo on the down tube as a guide. I'm a retired graphic designer, so I had the tools available.

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
Bill Bikie said:
Didn't Trek or Schwinn buy Klein bikes, and Gary continued to build for a while? I thought the real Klein frames stoped being built around 15-20 years.

I purchased mine as a frame and fork with sealed bottom bracked installed. I would think mine is worth at least $5000 as it sits right now. What do you all think?:confused:

The decals on the top tube (where the Quantum logo was) are new and designed by me using the logo on the down tube as a guide. I'm a retired graphic designer, so I had the tools available.
Trek bought Klein in 1995, though the frames were built in WA until 2001. While your bike is nice I don't think it's worth anywhere near $5k.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PRB said:
Trek bought Klein in 1995, though the frames were built in WA until 2001. While your bike is nice I don't think it's worth anywhere near $5k.
Well...to me you can't really put a price on an original, the frame that started it all, the frame that got Cannondale in hot water for copying the klein. Actually, I wouldn't sell it for $500.

I'm sure everyone knows the frame was a thesis engineering project for Gary in college.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Oh hey Bill, nice Klein. I'm not an enormous fan of those decals but that's a nice specimen. I especially like the crown on those forks. Nice.

I have an '05 that I got at a steal so I didn't care if it was too big. When I bought it I figured I'd only be riding "every once in while and for short distances"...that didn't last...so I invested in my dream machine...got it at a steal too.

While I love the Klein for what it can do...go uphill really fast...I'll be unloading it once the market makes it worth my while to do so, if ever. I'll never be riding this one again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OldEndicottHiway said:
Oh hey Bill, nice Klein. I'm not an enormous fan of those decals but that's a nice specimen.
The downtube decal is the original, the one on the top tube is my copy. Curious...who made your Klein, Trek? It certainly wasn't Gary Klein.

I think I perfer the old decal to the new.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Oh hey Bill, nice Klein. I'm not an enormous fan of those decals but that's a nice specimen. I especially like the crown on those forks. Nice.

I have an '05 that I got at a steal so I didn't care if it was too big. When I bought it I figured I'd only be riding "every once in while and for short distances"...that didn't last...so I invested in my dream machine...got it at a steal too.

While I love the Klein for what it can do...go uphill really fast...I'll be unloading it once the market makes it worth my while to do so, if ever. I'll never be riding this one again.
Wooo... Vulcan Ember. I bought that frame and built it up with Campy and custom black & red accented wheels. It was my bike for the hills: compact crankset, 12-29t rear cluster and light wheels. I ended up selling it as we were moving far, far away over an ocean and I needed to thin the herd a bit. But now we're back and I miss it.

What size is your frame?

·
Registered
187 Posts
This was for sale for $600 on my local CL, so pissed I missed it

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
jeebus said:
It was my bike for the hills: compact crankset, 12-29t rear cluster and light wheels.
What size is your frame?

Yup jeebus, the things climb and accelerate like crazy...but are rather unforgiving over rough roads which is all I have here. Still, would someday I'd like to replace this same frame smaller size for the reason you stated...a dedicated bike for the climbs/hills. I passed up same make/model (Qproxx) in white, my size, a couple of years ago and wish I hadn't. This one is a 56, and a 54 is generally pushing my limits.

I love my current ride which feels like steel to ride and is stable underfoot as all heck. Super comfy and descends like mad.

Well, someday my Klein will actually be retro, and will actually qualified to be in this forum. :D Or since they aren't making them anymore, maybe it already is...

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Nice wheel/tire choice for that particular paint scheme. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay, some like this for similar price range do pop up once in a while. Definitely a buyer's market these days.

If I had chump change... I've seen a few "bike toys" on eBay I'd be buying...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
This one is a 56, and a 54 is generally pushing my limits.
Nooooo! You were supposed to say it's a 54 (or smaller). And that it's really dinged up and possibly bent.

I'm usually in the 56-57 cm range with Kleins. The Vulcan Ember I had was a 58 cm, but with the steepish ST, I felt a little too stretched. Now I'm on an older model 54cm and feel a wee cramped. (I think Trek changed the geometry along the way to confuse things:(). Lemme know if you do decide to sell it. My bike stable is currently reduced to 2 bikes. I need to start a new project bike this winter to keep me sane:D.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
jeebus said:
Nooooo! You were supposed to say it's a 54 (or smaller). And that it's really dinged up and possibly bent.

I'm usually in the 56-57 cm range with Kleins. The Vulcan Ember I had was a 58 cm, but with the steepish ST, I felt a little too stretched. Now I'm on an older model 54cm and feel a wee cramped. (I think Trek changed the geometry along the way to confuse things:(). Lemme know if you do decide to sell it. My bike stable is currently reduced to 2 bikes. I need to start a new project bike this winter to keep me sane:D.

Well, it does have a scratch on it. :)

It is pretty much pristine with few miles.

Seriously though, I think you might do better on eBay by a couple hundred bucks if you're patient. PM me (I'm not in the forums much) if you can't find what you're looking for eventually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last pre-Trek Kleins are made 1996.
Road bikes hardly ever go so high prices than mountain bikes.
If you have Attitude or Adroit with rigid fork and good paintjob they are most valuable models. MC stem/bar-combo needs to be still wide and not cut down.

I do have some...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts