Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
This sounds like fun. (not the pain part, but the learning part)

I've always wanted to learn, but I don't think I have the coordination.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,105 Posts
Guitar Hero told me I rock.

But then again, Downhill Domination says I'm the MTB champion, and Tony Hawk Pro Skater told me I can ollie up 30 feet on a skateboard.

I really need to bust out my guitar and learn some stuff. I own a guitar and love it to death, but I've never learned to play it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a long time guitar player remember - only use enough pressure on the strings to make a clean note. You don't need a death grip on the neck or the fretboard to make good noises. Have fun!

www.therealplacebos.com (our band - shameless self promotion and mid life crises included at no extra charge)

·
Registered
396 Posts
HTFU

(Mods....just found out you cannot post something less than five characters on RBR. Also, when I posted HTFU! It converts it to Htfu!.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
i decided in a late night delirium i'd post more...in this thread in particular

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
asciibaron said:
my fingers hurt
Quit asking people to pull them.

Do they hurt like muscle pain or is it the tips hurting from the strings? If it's muscle pain, loosen the grip and try shorter, more frequent practice sessions until the hand strength develops more. If it's the tips, they'll toughen up eventually. I shredded mine so bad when I added a bass to my guitar collection that I coated them in super glue so I could keep practicing. I wish I still had that enthusiasm. My guitars and bass haven't seen the outside of their cases in a very long time.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
LWP said:
I shredded mine so bad when I added a bass to my guitar collection that I coated them in super glue so I could keep practicing.
Which hand? If it's the fretting hand, it's simply a matter of HTFU (as long as you have a decent setup on the bass). If it's the other hand and you're not playing with a pick, some strings are easier on the fingers than others. Dean Markley Blue Steels are like cheese graters. GHS Boomers are pretty slick.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
When I started last year my fingers cracked and hurt soooo bad. Been too busy to really play lately so when I start back up again I'm sure it's going to hurt all over..

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
If you play long enough, you'll get to the point where you don't really get thick calluses anymore--but you get a tiny numb spot at the very tips of your fingers. That's what happened to me, anyway. I can feel it when I'm typing if I think about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts