Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fred, father of Manny (both Manfred), died last week. He began cutting hair at the Noyes St. barbershop 55 years ago after emigrating from Germany. He bought the place a few years later, and has been running it ever since.

I got my first haircut from Fred, and then moved to his son Manny when he joined the shop. I've been going to Manny for about 15 years, and Fred for 18 years prior to that. Manny is my age, and I expect he'll be cutting my hair for the rest of my life.

My father-in-law has been getting his hair cut by Fred for 40 years. My brother-in-law got his first haircut from Manny. There's a picture of it on the roll-top desk in their house. My son got his first haircut from Manny, and there's a picture of it on this site.

RIP Fred.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I don't know that he barber has kept his place in society as well as he should have. I think it's an older generation thing.

My dad went to the same barber as my grandpa did, and I got my first haircut from him as well as getting all of my subsequent haircuts from him till I moved out of Riverside. My grandpa went there till he (my grandpa) dies. My dad kept going there and I kept going there.

His name is Mars and he had a Jakalope on the wall. He also had a picture that swung open to behind the bar of the bar that he shared a wall with. It was pretty rad.

I'm not sure that people get that experience from their barber any more. I'm pretty glad I did, even if it only lasted till I was 10. SO I can understand how something like the death of your barber could affect you.

RIP.

joe

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
My dad still goes to the same barber as when he was a kid. Guy must be 90 now. There is a picture from my parent's wedding on the wall. Its a pretty cool place. I don't know too many men that go to a barber anymore. Seems like a dying art.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I always went to the same traditional barber until about 10 years ago he retired and sold to some other guy. I went once after that and just didn't like it. That was the week I bought the robo-cut and I haven't looked back.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My first barber would be about 125 years old if he still were alive. My grandfather, who died ten years before I was born, and my father went to the same barber for years. When it came time for my first haircut, I went to the same guy. He continued to cut my hair until I was about 7 or 8 years old and he was in his 80s. He retired when his shop was torn down for an expressway that ultimately never was built. One of my memories of the shop was when I was about 5 or 6 and I saw him shave someone's face with hot lather and a straight razor. I begged to get a shave like that too. He told me that I could get one when I was older. I kept bugging him for a hot lather shave. Just before he closed the shop and I was in for my haircut, he gave me my "shave" with hot lather. With hindsight, I am sure that he just wiped the lather off of my face rather than shaving it with a straight razor. But, I truly felt like a man, albeit a 7 or 8 year old man, that day.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
In my experience all barbers I've seen try and do the exact same cut which is way too short for my taste. Glad you had/have a good one, RIP Fred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts